We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$40 a Day

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Topic
$40 a Day

Rachel Ray has a show on the food network where she visits various cities and eats on less than $40 a day. Of course it helps that she is a horrid tipper.

I recently saw an episode where Fort Laudaerdale was featured. She had breakfast at The Floridan, Lunch at Max's at Beach Place, a snack, empanadas, at the Riverfront, and dinner at Taverna Opa.

The show did give a nice overview of Fort Lauderdale. She also visited the Swap Shop and the Everglades.

This episode will be repeated in January.

I think I watch too much tv. I should be out doing more restaurant research. lol

Somewhere on the...
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: $40 a Day

my bar bill is more than that each day,lol

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,874 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $40 a Day

I'm a Food Network groupie too and have seen that show- have to say I was really disappointed in the choices- not completely sure if Max's Beach Place is still open - the one at Sawgrass is long gone and I thought the food was pretty bad- as far as dining at the Swap Shop-what can I say? Empanadas at Riverfront? that whole complex is almost dead and rumored to soon be remodeled into condos. Taverna Opa is ok as entertainment, but most folks prefer the food at the nearby Greek Isles Taverna- Floridian of course has been around forever, but it's still just a diner and the service has gotten rather slow now that it is packed with tourists daily.

I wish they had featured breakfast at the terrific Central American place across from Lester's on 84- name escapes me , but food is terrific, lunch or dinner at a Cuban place , and maybe one of our many Jamaican /Carribean places for the other meal- and how could you not want a snack from the legendary Jaxson's Ice Cream- or maybe a nice bowl of conch chowder or something. I just felt they didn't begin to feature Broward's best!

Likely most of the spots will be gone soon, if they aren't already!

Makes me wonder how good the choices are for the other cities!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,874 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $40 a Day

El Tamarindo- that's the little dive on 84 with great ethnic (and cheap) breakfast ! I wouldn't spend so much of my bankroll on a crabmeat omelet for breakfast if I only had $40 for the day!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,874 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $40 a Day

El Tamarindo- that's the little dive on 84 with great ethnic (and cheap) breakfast ! I wouldn't spend so much of my bankroll on a crabmeat omelet for breakfast if I only had $40 for the day!

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: $40 a Day

I'm sure that all of us are much better tippers than Rachel. I enoyed some of her shows on the food network but I am not so crazy about her talk show.

I know, I watch too much television.

Looking forward to checking out some of Lulutoo's cheap eats. And I promise to tip better than Rachel.

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $40 a Day

Pat and Lulu - many thanks to both of you for suggestions here at TA. I'll copy down these restaurant suggestions and ideas for sure. You've both given me great tips so far for our trip to FL next week - the boat parade tix, the Riverwalk events that linked me to the Christmas Pageant for which I now also have tix.

Reasonbly priced restaurants were to be my next question. I've printed one that perhaps you can comment on here - Fulvio's 1900. I suppose it really doesnt fit the $40/day category but it looks great and we'll plan at least one higher end spot during the week.

Any nice waterfront spots to especially look for near Beachplace - perhaps a leisurely lunch overlooking the intercoastal as the boats go by? Fresh but reasonably priced snapper, grouper or mahi mahi would be great with a mojito!

To keep food prices down during our stay we will use our kitchen facilities @ Marriott Beachplace to prepare some some meals in. Perhaps one of you can tell me if there are any grocery stores near there.

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $40 a Day

First- are you a MVCI owner? There is a special on the owners website for ten to 20% off Marriott gift cards....you can but only up to $2000 worth....but they can be used in any Marriott Hotel or T/S.

I say this because www.3030ocean.com is an excellent place in the Marriott Harbour Beach Resort (one mile walk S of MBP)

About grocery stores. You can walk to the overpriced 7/11 on A1A N (ICW side of MBP) about 1 block N of Las Olas. (About 4 blocks)

As you are aware, MBP has its own overpriced store called the Market Place.

The easiest Publix is not walkable. If you have a car, exit building onto A1A N and turn R onto Las Olas. Stay on Las Olas until it appears to end at the Riverwalk Area. This is Andrews. Turn LEFT onto Andrews and go over bridge. Note two block N on right if a new Publix. Parking garage is free. Take people mover into store.

Do this route in AM....Las Olas gets very busy in the PM. You will pass the Riverside Hotel Cheesecake Factory, Storks, and a lot of other neat places (Stranahan House-Carrie B tours)

This route should help avoid more traffic in the 17th St Causeway (A1A)...but there is a Publix & Winn Dixie there.

Another hint...upon return to MBP via Las Olas, as you go over the ICW bridge, turn R toward the big old condo.....don't go through the gate, bear R around the yacht club, and you will come out along side the MBP water taxi stop. You are now on the ICW side of Cortez

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $40 a Day

Thanks Ken - yes we own Marriott Manor Club in Williamsburg in addition to another II property and also own an RCI points property too. I see you post often regarding timeshares so I presume you also are a T/S owner. We've had fantastic experiences so far and try to exhange twice a year.

I don't plan to rent a car in FL. It appears that between water taxi and other easily available public transportation we won't be needing one this trip since we plan to stick close to the beach! I suppose the 7/11 and Market Place will have to do for the supplies we'll need. The cost of a taxi to Publix probably negates any savings there.

What's your take on nearby restaurants for seafood and a view?

BTW my name is Ken too!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,874 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $40 a Day

Fulvios is in Hollywood and I have never been there , nor do I know anything about it. I did look up reviews out of curiosity, but they were quite mixed:

southflorida.com/dining/…

If you've never used it www.southflorida.com is a website maintained by the local paper with lots of dining reviews. I don't always trust it, because they don't always share my opinion of some places, but I usually at least check it out.

I have to also confess, I'm just not coming up with a terrific waterfront seafood place for you- it seems so many are gone that I used to love and places I do like for seafood like Seafood World in Pompano are really far away for you. Maybe someone else is going to think of something I've missed It is very sad to say that when we want "honest fish" fresh but simply prepared , we find it in the Keys.

Joe's Riverside is a place we've always liked ,but it is again up in Pompano and right now there is construction all over that area- maybe affecting Joe's . The last time we hankered for a fish sandwich on the water, we went down to the Bar/grill at the Bahia Cabana Days Inn - just south of you across from Yankee Clipper. You would never want to stay in that hotel and the bar is a picnic table /paper plate kind of place , but we have beer and fish sandwiches or conch fritters and really like sitting there watching the boats come and go- so if you're brave , head down there!

Another casual on the water spot is the Pelican Bar at the Marina of the Hyatt Pier 66 . You have to walk through all the yachts to get there and go up the stairs above where boats pull in for refueling, but you sit on the second story, facing the Intracoastal and can again eat casual food from paper plates. Million dollar view.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: $40 a Day

There is also a Publix just south of 17th Street on Cordova in a fairly new shopping center. It may be further away than the other but you could take the sun trolley there for 50 cents.

Go to suntrolley.com for the route maps and schedules. You will be looking for the convention connector route. I think it only runs Thursday - Sunday from 10-10. They stop in the same places that the regular bus does. The bus for that area I think is #11 in case you want to look at their maps. The bus charges $1.

The website for the shopping center is harborshops.net

If you buy too many groceries to lug back on the trolley or bus you could always take a taxi back.

There is a restaurant that Lulutoo likes over that way named Bimini Boatyard. I haven't been yet but I believe it is on the water.

If you take the water taxi north to the end Oakland Park Blvd. there are a few restaurants. Charlies Crab, Shooters, Taverna Opa, the one where Rachel Ray stopped.

If you don't mind riding the bus ,there is a restaurant in Lauderdale by the Sea called Blue Moon Cafe that has great food and buy one get one special for lunch. I would have to double check but I think it would involve one transfer.

I also haven't been to the Hollywood restaurant but I did peek at their menu and it looked delish.

Get answers to your questions about Fort Lauderdale