We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice hotel in Ft.L

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
nice hotel in Ft.L

Could anyone suggest a nice, clean hotel on a good beach with a nice pool in Ft. Lauderdale for 1 night before our cruise? Something around $100-$150.

Also, would the best way to get to a hotel from FLL be to hail a cab?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice hotel in Ft.L

You haven't mentioned which month you are coming, but if it is before Easter, I think your budget is too low to find such a place ( it is "high season"). The possibilities then would likely be a little "Mom and Pop" place a block or two off the beach with a small pool. These places vary so much in quality and get mixed reviews here and since I don't get to see the rooms myself I would be hesitant to recommend any though you will find many reviews on this site. The only other alternative would be Priceline or Hotwire, but my worry about them is that they frequently present a hotel as 3 star because it has a pool and restaurant even if the sleeping rooms are shabby and poorly maintained ( many complain about an oceanfront hotel called Ocean Sky that they are sent to , among others).

There are both taxis and shuttles from FLL, but if there are two of you the taxi would be cheaper as you share the fare and the Shuttle is per person , about $18 last I checked. The shuttle may also make multiple stops on teh way, so for a party of more than one, taxi is generally the best plan.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice hotel in Ft.L

I would go with the Best Western Oceanside every time, it is right on the beach and an excellent buffet breakfast is included which brings the price of the room down somewhat.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice hotel in Ft.L

I'd agree that Best Western Oceanside is a great choice- but I think it is well over $200 until after Easter at least- but do check it out and see.

Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: nice hotel in Ft.L

You're right, my price is way too low. It's crossed my mind to just rent a car and spend the night in it.....does this sound too crazy for the area? Where I'm from in Ontario, Canada, there are tons of nice, safe truck stops/travel centres all along our major highways that would be perfect for pulling into and reclining back for a few hours. Does anyone know if this sort of thing exists between FLL and Miami? Also, it's just for my S.O. and myself and we're coming in the middle of January.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nice hotel in Ft.L

The sleeping in car idea probably won't fly- and our truck stops are way west of town and not safe for sleeping IMHO. It may be booked- but give this place a try- 2 blocks from the beach, has a little pool and is a favorite with budget minded folks:

http://www.tropirock.com/index.html

6. Re: nice hotel in Ft.L

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2007, 13:24
Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: nice hotel in Ft.L

Thanks for the suggestion LuLu. Could you also tell me if the Fort Lauderdale ship port is the same as the Everglades port, or are they 2 separate ones? Thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nice hotel in Ft.L

Yes Port Everglades is the name of the Port in Ft. Lauderdale. It is pretty close to the airport- only about a $10 cab ride. If you stay along the beach area at TropiRock or elsewhere, I'm guessing $25-30 for the taxi each way from Airport to hotel and hotel back to Port.- but of course that is shared by the two of you, while a shuttle would be about $20 pp - so taxi is generally a better deal when there are two or more in the party

The owners of TropiRock live at the facility and manage it themselves and generally get kudos for being helpful- so if you consult them when you get there maybe they have a private transfer service they know of that would be less expensive - or maybe can hook you up with another couple also going to the Port- unless you have mountains of luggage four can share a cab with no problem.

Hope you find something- would like you to enjoy our city as well as your cruise- Cruiseport accomodations are expensive everywhere I think- we found the same in Vancouver.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nice hotel in Ft.L

Another possible "budget" lodging is Napoli Belmar in the same general area as the Tropi- I have to say that after driving by , I find it hard to believe the glowing reviews- it's basically an older two story motel built around a parking lot with a pool- but the rooms in Jan start at $70. I suspect the furniture is old, but the place is probably clean and easy to walk to the beach. I think the website is www.napolibelmar.com

Not sure if it was a fairly recent rehab job, because I had certainly never heard of it, but in the last few months there are many estatic reviews, which makes me a bit suspicious- but if all you want is a place to lay your head after you walk up to the beach, I'm pretty confident it will satisfy you- those expecting the Taj Mahal or anything "quaint" like a B&B will likely be let down.

Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: nice hotel in Ft.L

Thanks for your help LuLu. We're very excited about coming to Florida. Our flight into FLL is booked, we're just waiting on choosing a last-minute cruise to hop on. It could be out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami. There's also one to choose from that's out of Tampa.....could you tell me how far of a drive that would be from FLL? If it's too far then I will be able to eliminate that one as a possibility. We'd really like to rent a car and spend our day/night before the cruise, driving around the Fort.L and Miami area. I think we're going to scrap the hotel idea and just drive. We both work straight midnights, so we're used to staying up all night. We figure we'll sleep the next day out on the deck of the ship.