We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lago Mar Again

Washington, DC
8 posts
Save Topic
Lago Mar Again

I have booked Lago Mar for a week of Jan. 15. But after reading some of the latest reviews and seeing some photos on this website, I started having doubts about my choice. I will be travelling alone with my 2.5 y.o. daughter and want to feel comfortable. I have not had a vacation in years and it would be really disappointing if Lago Mar turns out to be shabby and filthy, as some previous guests have claimed. I have been considering Pelican, Ocean Sands, Beachcomber and Callery One-Doubletree. Should I change my reservations just to be on the safe side? And if so, which of the four alternative choices would you recommend.

Also, if anyone has recent pictures of Lago Mar hotel, it would be great if you could post them here.

Thanks a lot in advance.

cape cod, MA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lago Mar Again

Honestly, I can't say but I'm going to be there at the exact same time as you are with my boyfriend and if its not nice I'll be so upset. It was my idea to stay there, last year we were just slightly down the beach at the Marriott and it was nice but a typical Marriott. So I pushed for the Lago Mar.

Where did you see pictures?

Susan

Washington, DC
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lago Mar Again

I saw the pictures in the reviews section on this website. I don't know if they are just of poor quality or what.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lago Mar Again

I'm not about to start trying to defend any lodging against poor reviews, since I am a local and don't stay in them. I did notice that the pictures posted were put there by individiuals who gave the property good reviews- they were not posted by the reviewers who I were not complimentary.

Of the proprties you mention , Lago Mar and Pelican would likely be held in the highest regard. Beachcomber and Ocean Sands are further north in Pompano- I don't think anyone would put them in the same category as the first two, but you can find reviews in the Pompano Beach Forum if you haven't already. Ocean Sands is currently being marketed as condos though still functioning as a hotel . Gallery One is a recently renovated Doubletee , also being sold as condo hotel, but it is not directly on the beach as the others are, it's about two blocks off, requiring a walk over the Intracoastal Bridge- and some folks don't like having to tote beach chairs etc that far.

Also be aware that the Pelican has some older less well appointed rooms, called rooms in the Sun Tower , which are in the older adjoining building and are assigned pretty routinely to those bidding on Priceline or paying the lowest rates. The rooms in the newer building are also currently being marketed as condos , though I not heard any reports of anyone being harrassed or solicited by salesmen while staying there.

Washington, DC
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lago Mar Again

Lulutoo, thank you for you response. The fact that the pictures were posted by people who left good reviews is excatly what I find so disturbing. These people were obviously trying to "say" good things about the hotel by posting the pictures. If I consider only the information posted on the respective hotels' websites, I would certainly pick Lago Mar, especially, considering the fact that I will be travelling with the 2-year old. But the pictures and bad reviews are there, and I don't want to make a mistake because of the wishful thinking on my part. I am puzzled and worried.

Washington, DC
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lago Mar Again

Lulutoo, one more question to you. Looking at the satellite image of the area surrounding Pelican, it appears that there is a construction site next to it. Is it correct? what is going on there?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lago Mar Again

I'll take a look on my next trip down A!A- probably early next week. North of it, the Ireland's Inn , a very old hotel is going to at some point do remodeling , but it hasn't started yet and I doubt it would for the time being- at least til Superbowl is over in Feb.

There is a large Condo complex of two giant towers called the Palms just north of Pelican and slightly west of it and they are doing some sort of repairs to one of the towers- I don't think it is major noise- seems to involve some scaffolding. We have been trying to find out what's going on out of curiosity- our guess is that some sort of design flaw was discovered that kept them from being able to be occupied ( these sold for over 1 million each but no one has been living in them for ages) and that they are trying to fix something there. It doesn't look to be heavy construction to me- but I haven't looked lately, so in a few days I'll see what seems to be happening.

I do have to tell you that like any popular tourist spot, there is almost always some sort of construction happening- I think there may be something being built down in the area of Lago Mar, but I think it is closer to Harbor Beach Marriott- I see something as I go by- but both Lago Mar and Marriott are back from the road, so it's hard to get a good look. I think if it was annoying in any way, the reviews would have mentioned something.

I understand your quandry. I agonize every time I have to make a decision about a hotel sight unseen.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lago Mar Again

I took a quick look at the satellite map on google. I can tell you that it is not up-to-date. I live on A1A next door to a gas station that was demolished and rebuilt. The google map shows the gas station before it was redone.

I''m going to pass the Pelican on the way to dinner so I will look around too.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lago Mar Again

I just stayed at Lago mar in Dec. and before that in May '06. I have stayed there many times over the years and have never found it to be shabby or filthy.In fact, it's one of my favorite places to stay. We usually stay in an executive or 1 BR suite.The grounds are beautiful, and the suites spacious. I really don't understand the last 3 reviews. I think you will enjoy it there with your daughter. The lagoon pool is really nice, and you can't beat the location, right on the beach. I have stayed at the Pelican, and prefer Lago. I have also stayed at the Doubletree, which is not as nice as the other 2. I have toured, but never stayed in the Beachcomber and Ocean Sands. I would not chose either over the Lago Mar. I have posted an earlier review of the Lago Mar. If you click on my name,you can find it, and I'll try to add some pictures .

Washington, DC
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lago Mar Again

Thank you, JD3. Photos will be very helpful in making me feel confident about my choice. :))

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lago Mar Again

I agree with JD3. We have stayed there many times and have never had any problems. We almost always have an Executice Suite in the newer main building, but have stayed at least once in a 1 bedroom suite in the older building as well.