We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dive restauants

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
113 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Dive restauants

My traveling companion enjoys checking out the dives of a city. Any suggestions on restaurants that might be lacking in decor and pretension but not in decent, inexpensive food?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dive restauants

Boos, so sorry that the Palacio is your homebase whilst in our fine city. Also sorry about this cold snap, particularly the glee us locals feel when one of these puppies blows through. Lulu, as a former Philadelphian, I must point out that La Spada's serves "hoagies" rather than "subs." What's the diff? Not much, but us Philly people have a big chip on our shoulders about hoagies. But the real differences are in the bread and the quality and amount of deli meats. There is nothing like a real Philly hoagie if you've never had one and La Spadas is authentic -- one of the greatest dives in all of south Florida. Hard to find, but head east on commercial, go over the bridge, take a right on SeaGrape and it's on the left. Shove your way into ordering position and watch them literally throw your hoagie together. Yum

Other overlooked dives in order of good, cheap food in a cheap, not-good environment: Tom Jenkins Bar-B-Q, Catfish Deweys, Durty Harry's, the Downtowner, Southport Raw Bar, Tequila Sunrise, Shuck 'N' Dive (although it's not really a dive), Pizza Rustica, or any of the area Chicken Kitchens...wow, my eating habits are truly pathetic.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dive restauants

Sorry about the Hoagie gaff!! I lived in Cumberland Maryland for a while and should know better- at least I didn't conjure up my New England roots and call them grinders! Whatever they are they are worth standing in line for !

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Dive restauants

On "Lawn Guyland" we call them heroes.

No matter what you call them, they are good.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dive restauants

At least most of the places you all are suggesting are a short drive from El Palacio!

BTW, what counts as a cold snap in South Florida? I'm originally from the north, so it's not cold until it's under 50 degrees! :)

Now, the places to get good coffee, because I'm thinking there's a chance I might not sleep too well and will need the caffeine!

I may just skip the Waffle House altogether (Lulu you are right, we have 'em in Atlanta) although those hash browns sure are good!

I"ve looked up the closest Starbucks (just for kicks, I'm not wedded to them) and, shocking, SHOCKING I tell you, there are none very close to either El Palacio or Calder Race Track, where I'll be based out of.

Also, any suggestions for an all-purpose hardware store (for bug spray, plastic sheeting, etc) and where to find pepper spray?

(jeez, you think I was going to a game at the old Vet wearing a Giants jersey!)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dive restauants

There is an Albertson's Grocery pretty close to your "hotel" for extermination supplies at Commercial and Dixie Hwy. I'm not sure, but there used to be a drive through coffee/expresso stand just west of Albertsons. Our cold "snaps" usually don't last long- it's going to be in the low 80's tomorrow I think and we are expecting another snap into the 50's around Monday or Tuesday.I'm trying to think of the nearest Starbucks and it won't register- I think there is a Dunkin Doughnuts not far from you, so Google that chain. There is a Denny's ( but not a very nice one) across from the Albertsons and a nicer Denny's further east on Commercial at Federal.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Dive restauants

I just have to ask- you are staying at the El Palacio in Lauderdale? -because the other El Palacio is at Calder Racetrack- that's the one I went to my meeting at and no better than the one in Lauderdale. I actually think the neighborhood in Lauderdale is better than the one around the El Palacio at Calder- at least I was releived to be out of there- maybe because the whole area was unfamiliar. At any rate I want to be sure you have the right hotel There is the one on Commercial Blvd. in Lauderdale, the one by Calder Racetrack and a third one somewhere in Miami- those are the only three, I think so far and hopefully, the empire will not be expanding!

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Dive restauants

Beach Hardware is on Commercial just before Sea Grape. Right around the corner is La Spaldas. I don't know if they carry pepper spray though. The people are very helpful there. I was there today and at least 4 people asked me if I needed help.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Dive restauants

its out of the way... and lulu can tell me if this is not a good suggestion.... as it might not be "dirty enough"

but what about whales rib in deerfield?

I am no expert in the area. but the BF lives in deerfield and the rib is certainly a down home place.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Dive restauants

Whales Rib is great- I would go more often, but parking in the area is difficult, especially in season. Nice friendly neighborhood bar/restaurant with great chowder a few steps from the Ocean in Deerfield Beach.

Don't know how many are still around, but several years ago the employees bought lotto tickets together and one of the tickets won millions. The employees divided the proceeds and most said they were so hapy in their jobs that they had no plan to "retire" even though they could. It's that kind of place.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Dive restauants

I was in the area of El Palacio today shopping at Syms. On the corner of Powerline and Commercial are 3 gas stations with food marts on the other corner is a Miami Subs. Also next to the station on the SW side is a Mc Donalds. They should all have coffee.

There is a Lowe's on Oakland just west of Powerline if you still need supplies. There is a Dennys there too.