We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do YOU pay for accom/car etc??

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
How do YOU pay for accom/car etc??

I'm really curious how everyone pays for accomodation, car rentals etc etc. Do you give out your Visa # and is it safe? If you e mail directly to the resort is it safer to pay that way? I'm a little nervous about sending my Visa out into cyber land, but perhaps it is safer today than before. What do you do, and have you felt comfortable paying this way?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do YOU pay for accom/car etc??

Laing,

I'm not really certain about what you're asking but any trepidation you may have about paying for services online is misplaced. It is much safer to use the Internet, with its encryption technologies, than to hand your credit card to a waiter in a restaurant, and have them disappear with it for a few minutes. Just make sure when you're putting information into an online form that the URL begins with https:// rather than the non-secure http:// -- the S means "secure."

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do YOU pay for accom/car etc??

Now that's interesting! Never heard of that before and will look for the" s". So you figure folks just send their Visa # ...as long as the "s" is there- even around the world.My brother says he never gives out his visa # as he figures people can "hack"into so many sites and he'd rather be safe thansorry. I've got reservations to make for Europe, so would a group like Venere be a trusted site? Have you heard of them?

Some one else said they e mail twice, once with half the number the second e mail with the rest of it. Are we being over cautious here?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do YOU pay for accom/car etc??

I would not advise sending a credit card number via email, as it uses SMTP, which is relatively unsecure, plus email is permanent and you never know who might happen upon those messages later. Just remember to look for the https: and if you use Internet explorer, there will be a "lock" icon in the lower right hand side of your screen. When you see those things, it is safe to give your personal info. There will always be cases of hackers accessing databases with personal info, but that is the same whether you provide the information online or in-store.

Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How do YOU pay for accom/car etc??

As others have mentioned, I would not advise sending credit card details via email (secured online site "locked" is ok). If such a site is not available, I would recommend faxing your information.

A quick aside, some credit card companies are offering "virtual" credit card numbers. These numbers usually are good for one time use. However, they are not advised for hotel and airline booking as you will be unable to confirm the purchase with your card. For more information you can check out this article www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20021011a.asp

Good luck.

Sara

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do YOU pay for accom/car etc??

I checked this one out with my bank - Royal Bank of Scotland and they told me to give your credit card details on a secure site or over the phone is fine and they would refund any fraudulent transactions. However they said that they would not help if credit card details were given on an e-mail.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do YOU pay for accom/car etc??

I agree with others - as long as you use a secure website it will be fine.

The only thing you must remember - NEVER give out financial info on an email!!!

7. Re: How do YOU pay for accom/car etc??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 13:15