We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly beaches?

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
860 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly beaches?

We have booked 4 nights at Residence Inn Fort Myers Sanibel, but still haven't decide for the West or East coast as we have one booking at the East cost as well.

How bad was the area affected by Irma?

Going to the beach, Sanibel Island or Ft. Myers Beach, and where? We will having a rental so driving it not an issue, and walk 1/2 a mile is not an issue neither, if parking is not close to "that beach".

Our children are 11 and 6 yrs old, where going in the beginning of November.

EK

Mentioned in this post
Residence Inn Fort Myers Sanibel
Residence Inn Fort Myers...
837 Reviews
Fort Myers, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
5 replies to this topic
Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
860 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly beaches?

I just realized I asked this question about a year ago, when we instead decided for the Atlantic coast...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34230…

If any one have a similar question they can read that thread.

EK

2. Re: Family friendly beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2017, 14:05

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly beaches?

EK

Hurricane Irma missed Sanibel Island. Beaches were not washed away, little damage, power is back. November is a EXCELLENT time to visit southwest Florida. November is a slower month so beach crowds should not be a problem. On Sanibel, I would visit Lighthouse Beach, and Bowman's Beach as first choices. Lots of parking, restrooms, good shelling. On a second trip Blind Pass and up to Captiva for a Dolphins Cruise and a visit to the Bubble Room for lunch or dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Bowman's Beach
Bowman's Beach
2,647 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
860 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly beaches?

@SWFLAOK, of course the question about Irma was the not the part I asked last year, regarding the beaches was, why the attitude? If I offended you in some way, please accept my apology.

Also I will not cancel "last minute", sometimes travel plans are not final confirmed and some flexibility is needed, once again why the attitude? If I offended you in some way, please accept my apology.

@CapBeachVilla, thank you for the reply, this sounds to me really promising, always nice to avoid being packed like a sardine in a can at the beach.

EK

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family friendly beaches?

EK, Just a note.

There is a toll bridge ( $ 6.00 US ) and parking on Sanibel beaches is $5.00 per hour. So staying in Ft. Myers and commuting may not be that great a deal id Sanibel is your primary goal. [ And why stay anywhere else, ;-) }.

An off-beach motel on Sanibel can be had for just a few dollars more. Check this :

https:/…small-inns-and-cottages-270

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Reply to: Family friendly beaches?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted