We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for good beach vacation!!

Maine
Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for good beach vacation!!

Help!!!

Lots of time in the caribbean..........very little in Florida ,except Disney.

Hoping to take my kids and boyfriends (18 to 28) to Florida sometime in March 08. We'd like to see the Redsox in Ft Myers, but really want a nice beach nearby (within 50 miles) to spend a week or so............ Any help or information would be great. I am considering a house/villa/condo or hotel depending on what is available. We have friends in Port Charlotte.....so we'd love to be within 50 of there as well.

bucks co.
Level Contributor
371 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for good beach vacation!!

There are two very close alternatives nearby . the Red Sox play their spring training in Ft. Meyers but nowhere close to the beach/ Try Sanibel Island or Captiva. If you are willing to travel and it is not really far. you can be in a whole different world in about forty minutes from the ballpark . I have found Ft Meyers a bit congested but once you cross the Causeway ( six bucks) it is a whole different world

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for good beach vacation!!

Sanibel and Captiva are very nice. There are some cottages on the beach, with beach in backyard. When you go through the toll booth to Sanibel, Captiva will be about 30 minutes (depending on traffic of course) farther. It's a two lane road the whole way. The six dollar toll each time you go back to Sanibel can get old if plan on leaving the island very often. With what it sounds like you want to do, however, I would recommend staying in Ft. Myers instead of in Sanibel. But, with that said, Sanibel/Captiva are very nice with relaxed beaches. It would be worth a day trip to go over there and check it out if you have time. There are also some great restaurants there.

Fort Myers is also pretty laid back, especially compared to the cities on the east coast. However, beach will be busier than other beaches close to training field, so the kids will have more to do there. Whether you get a hotel closer to the beach or to the spring training field will depend on where you plan to spend more time. It shouldn't be a terribly long drive to either, whatever you choose. Just ask the hotel how far to each, and you will probaly want to stay in south Ft. Myers, not north Ft. Myers to be closer to training field and beach. But be aware that the traffic to get to the beach (Ft. Myers beach is on island, only one way to get there from Ft. Myers) during that time of year is rough. What is usually a 5 minute drive can take up to 45 minutes (or more on occasion), unless you go before 11:00. If we go to the beach that time of year, we usually head over at about 10:30 and it's not bad.

I think it is about 30 miles from Ft. Myers to Port Charlotte. That, of course, will depend on where you stay and where your friends live. You should mapquest it. Hope you all have a great vacation!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for good beach vacation!!

I just got back from Fort Myers, Sanibel and Captiva and I would recommend going to either Sanibel or Captiva. The beaches there are really nice! Don't go to Fort Myers beach, the water is really nasty! It smells like sewage and is a murky brown color. I came back with a rash on my legs, a infection under my toe nail and my husband has a viral infection in both eyes. Whatever you do, don't go in the water. Other than that, the beach in Fort Myers in nice and not crowded, just stay away from the water. Hope you have fun.

4. Re: Looking for good beach vacation!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 22:19