We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport question

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Airport question

I'll be flying out of Ft. Myers airport at the end of my holiday roadtrip to Florida. The flight (so far) leaves in the midafternoon or so on Sudnay Dec. 29.

I will be staying on Sanibel for 3 days before I fly and was thinking of heading to the airport with a brief stop at the Edison/Ford estates, for a quick look see if I have the time. From the map, this seems doable as these homes appear closer to Sanibel's end of FM. But knowing how the city is spread out (my aunty and uncle lived in Jamaica Bay West for many years but I never got there!) and how long things take to reach, can someone tell me if this is even feasible?

I am used to the craziness of LAX for security, check in and other fun things. What is Ft. Myers airport like in comparison?

Thanks much! :-)

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport question

The airport is really easy to get around in. I just dropped somebody off today and they got through checkin and security in about 20 minutes.

Delaware
Level Contributor
65 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport question

Fort Myers, (Southwest Regional Airport), even though it is new, is still smaller, and easier to get around, then most bigger airports in major cities. Not hard to do at all. However, the Edison Ford Estate is in the north end of the city, and west of I75, which is the quickest way to get to the airport. If you go, consider traffic conditions for getting to the airport in reasonable time for your flight. There are many traffic lights and traffic can get heavy during the day, traveling south to the airport.

Lee

LaBelle, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport question

I think as long as you plan your time accordingly, you should be fine. I just checked the Edison-Ford Estates website, and it says they open at 9 am, so with a midafternoon flight, I don't think it will be a problem. They are right about the estates being in the northern part of Ft. Myers, but I think with traffic and the lights it will probably take you about 30-40 minutes (to be safe) to get to the airport from there. The airport here is really easy, especially if you are used to LAX! I've flown in and out at all times of the day and at all times of the year, and the longest I've ever waited at security was maybe 10 minutes. Most of the time, you are through in less than 5. Have a great trip!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport question

Say your flight is at 3:30. Working backwards, you want to get to the airport an hour early, 2:30 (The airport may not be too busy, but I have missed a flight there because we checked in at just 30 minutes before the flight, and all seats were already assigned... these things do happen). To get from the Edison Home to the airport on a Sunday during the holidays- 45 minutes maybe, depending on what roads you take and traffic. This puts us at 1:45. How much time did you want to spend there? Say an hour for a quick look around (I haven't been there in years- I don't know what all there is to see). 12:45. Drive from Sanibel (which part makes a difference) to Edison home- maybe 45 minutes or more. So you'd definitely need to leave your place on Sanibel before noon to do it. So as long as you can do that, you'd be fine. I'd pad some more time in there, to allow for traffic and all, though. It gets a little congested here during the winter and holidays.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport question

Thanks everyone! Of course, I am STILL waiting to see if Delta change the flights AGAIN (not by nuch, but the scheduled have changed a bit since I booked).

Can't wait! :-)

BTW it is Sunday the 30th (looked at the calendar upside down!)

6. Re: Airport question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 08:20