We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning, Advantage Rent A Car is out of business

Michigan
Level Contributor
331 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Warning, Advantage Rent A Car is out of business

We arrived in Fort Myers last night and found a sign that directed Advantage Rent a car rentals to go to Enterprise as Advantage was no longer in business. We had a minivan reserved as we are a family of 5. I had a discount code from Travelzoo and was supposed to have the rental for $400 for 10 days.

Well, not only did Enterprise not have a minivan but they wanted to charge us over $1000 for a rental. I asked for the manager and explained our situation and he could not have cared less. They love when they get a customer who is desperate for a vehicle. We looked at all the car companies and got ridiculous quotes ($1300, $1500, $1800) Finally Dollar took pity on us and found us a minivan for $800. Not the way we wanted to start vacation but we are having fun now. I will never go to Enterprise and am now a Dollar customer.

Medina Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning, Advantage Rent A Car is out of business

When did you make your reservation with Advantage? I called them the first week of November for a reservation in Decemeber and they told me they could not take reservations for December as they were going out of business December 1.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning, Advantage Rent A Car is out of business

Is this only applicable to Advantage in Ft Myers or what? I have rentals booked with them next week in Orlando and in March for Phoenix.

Michigan
Level Contributor
331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning, Advantage Rent A Car is out of business

We probably made the reservation in October. It would have been nice if they had let me know. I don't know about other cities but I would find their local number and call them.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning, Advantage Rent A Car is out of business

They have a web site which is still listing a lot of locations. Looks like none at Ft Myers though, so it would appear that they just closed a sub-performing location.

5. Re: Warning, Advantage Rent A Car is out of business

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 02:18