We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High cost of Rental car & "loss time insurance"--solutions?

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Topic
High cost of Rental car & "loss time insurance"--solutions?

In early May, we landed at Fort Meyers airport. I had booked a compact car for $350 for 7 days. When I went to the checkout desk, the clerk read through all the extra options. When he got to the extra auto insurance coverage, I told him that I was covered by State Farm, and would not need the extra coverage. He stated that regular auto insurance companies do not cover "loss-of-time" ---E.g., if you are in an accident, your insurance does not cover the lost revenue that the rental car company experiences while the car is being fixed. Since, that extra coverage would cost me approx. $290 more, on my cell phone,I immediately called my State Farm insurance agent back home (phoned right at the check-out desk).

My agent said that they did NOT cover such "loss-of-time" ---neither did any other regular company that he know of. I paid the extra insurance, total rental bill exceeeded $640 for 7 days. We drove from the airport to Sanibel Island and back--- and drove a bit on the Island. I don't know if we can afford such a hit on a rental car, again. ---Any suggestions or solutions? ---Jaes/

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High cost of Rental car & "loss time insurance"--solutions?

If you aren't using your rental much, it may be better to just take a taxi from the airport to your lodging on Sanibel. You can find out about taxi rates from RSW here: http://flylcpa.com/taxirates/. You can also click on "Other Transportation" at the left on that page for more taxi options.

Sanibel is fairly easy to walk or bike around, depending on your activities on the island. I would opt for that instead of driving, or take one of the Sanibel taxis if you must have a car.

From the sound of it, you didn't really use your rental so there's no sense in paying that much for it. Use the money you save on grabbing a cab and doing other activities around the island! Rent a bike or segway and enjoy the tropical breeze and ocean air. :)

Kansas
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: High cost of Rental car & "loss time insurance"--solutions?

"smoothchick," thanks for the reply. Your alternative to a rental car from airport to Sanibel is a good one. Especially if we are going to stay on the island. ---We've stayed on Sanibel 2 times before this last time---and rental rates were more reasonable. However, that's probably because I was unaware of the "loss-of-time" insurance issue. ---This last time, when we arrived at the Fort Meyers airport, I we were tired of the trip, went through the rental car line, ---and I was ready to pay the booked price of aprox, $350 (which seems a bit high)---then the insurance thing--- Well, by that time I was too tired to walkaway and research other options. Your suggestion(s) are good options. ---One thing that has recently entered into the situation, and limits me abit---is a heart thing. I am not happy that I now get tired easily (so biking on the island-- was an option 2 yrs ago---but, propably, not now). Again, I thank you for the reply. ---Jaes.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High cost of Rental car & "loss time insurance"--solutions?

I just thought of something else you may be able to take advantage of if biking/walking isn't a good option for you.

If you stay at a hotel, many of them offer free shuttles around the island. Next time you are making plans to come to Sanibel, find out if they offer that service to their customers.

Either way, if you take a cab a few places around Sanibel, you will still save money versus renting the car.

Kansas
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: High cost of Rental car & "loss time insurance"--solutions?

"smootchick," excellent suggestions about the taxi and possible shuttle service. ---No matter where we stay, on the island, we always like to visit "Jerrry's" ---I am sure you know of it---It's a very mini-mini mall--with Jerry's grocery store and resturant as the hub. ---I bet any shuttle from any of the resorts would have as one of their stops---Jerry's. ---Well, I am going on about Jerry's, sorry. Smootchick, I thank you very much for the fine suggestions and time you have given me. ---Jaes.

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High cost of Rental car & "loss time insurance"--solutions?

Hello Jaes,

"Loss-of-Time" insurance in addition to collision and liability is provided free if you charge the rental car to a VISA Platinum Credit Card. It's just that simple. I damaged a Hertz rental car and VISA paid everything ($1,700). jgiovann

new england
Level Contributor
392 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High cost of Rental car & "loss time insurance"--solutions?

Just looked at a brochure for World MasterCard -- it also appears to cover "loss-of-time" as part of their secondary insurance.

san diego,ca
Level Contributor
117 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High cost of Rental car & "loss time insurance"--solutions?

I always use my American express and pay $17.95 total per rental to Amex. It covers everything PRIMARY, meaning my insurance should never be involved. If you have an Amex. card go online and review travel + added benefits and sign up.

8. Re: High cost of Rental car & "loss time insurance"--solutions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 05:16