We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach to stay at? Spring break 2010

Minnesota
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which beach to stay at? Spring break 2010

We're planning a family trip to Fort Meyers area in March/April 2010 (kids are 12 and 8) and I'm trying to decide what area to stay in. I'd originally thought Sanibel - but I'm concerned about the traffic, as we have several day trips planned, so would be on/off the island a fair amount. I've heard traffic across the causeway can get pretty bad.

We'll be there for 10 days, and will take in a couple of spring training games (Twins fans!), probably a day-trip up to Tampa to go to Busch Gardens, and another day trip to the Everglades. This will be the kids' first trip to a beach, so I want to choose a great one - but on the other hand, it's not like we'll just be spending the whole week at the beach either.

Also, while I know every place will be crowded during spring break, if there are some places that are better than others crowdwise, I'd love to hear.

Would love to hear everyone's recommendations!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which beach to stay at? Spring break 2010

Sounds like you would like the Diamondhead on Ft Myers Beach! Not too crazy and near everything!

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which beach to stay at? Spring break 2010

The Hyatt in Estero is a great place. Not on the beach but they have a boat that ferries you out to a great beach with facilities and the boat ride is fun for the kids even without the beack. Don't worry, boat ride is free if staying at hotel. It is close to lots of good restaurants and not as crazy with college kids that FMB can be.

Utica, Michigan
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which beach to stay at? Spring break 2010

Pink Shell Beach Resort!!!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which beach to stay at? Spring break 2010

Traffic on and off of Fort Myers Beach during Spring Break is pretty hellish. If you are concerned about the amount of driving you'll be doing on and off island, I wouldn't stay on FMB either. I *think* Fort Myers Beach would be the most "crowded" place around here during Spring Break. I'm not sure if I've been out to Sanibel during that time to say if it is very busy, but I can't say that Sanibel would ever seem crowded to me. That time of year is just generally pretty busy around town all over. Restaurants have waits and traffic gets heavier. Apparently the weather is a big draw :)

It sounds like you just have to decide whether sitting in some traffic on those days you are driving is worth getting to stay on a beach. I would think that you might be going against the worst traffic, if you are leaving the island in the morning and coming back late evening, since most people would be driving out to the beach for the day and coming back soon after sunset. That's my impression of the FMB traffic, I'm not sure about Sanibel. But perhaps other people have a better idea on that.

There are other options, like the Hyatt in Estero that somebody mentioned, or maybe Sanibel Harbour Resort that will get you close to the beach, but not on it.

As far as quality of beaches- they are pretty similar in type of water and sand. Character and atmosphere is different. Fort Myers Beach will probably be busy and mostly drunk during Spring Break. Sanibel will be quieter. You might even look at Lover's Key, which is on the south end of Fort Myers Beach. The beach has gotten good press in the past, and it should be fairly quiet. You could then drive off of the south end of the island into the Bonita Springs area to hop on the interstate to get to your destinations. Traffic isn't usually bad on that end, I don't think.

Hope you come to a decision that pleases you.

Cap Coral, fl
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Which beach to stay at? Spring break 2010

Fort Myers Beach is my favorite beach in Florida. The sand is like no other...almost like you are walking in powdered sugar. Another hotel you may want to stay in is the Lighthouse Inn at Fort Myers. It is across from the beach and it also has a great pool. I stayed there Dec 2009 and just happened to get a kitchenette room which was perfect. My teenagers enjoyed the entire experience.

I now have a house in the area and the traffic is crazy. Just head out early and you will be ok (Tampa is a long hike from FM and I 75 is always a mess)...Have fun

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which beach to stay at? Spring break 2010

Hi,

My husband and I are looking at buying a house on FMB, right on the beach. We have not been down there during spring break and wanted to hear from folks that live in the area as to what to expect. High traffic volume is understood but else can we expect, drunks, trash, etc. Anything you can share with us would be helpful.

Lou

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which beach to stay at? Spring break 2010

If you stay on Sanibel, you'll be going against the heavy traffic flo, most likely.

Traffic is heavy coming on the island in the morning - day trippers and locals who work on island. Afternoons it is heavy again after 3 or 4, people leaving the island.

Causeway traffic used to be horrible, but since the new bridge has been built, it has improved significantly.

I can't imagine you'll have a problem if you stay on Sanibel. Also, make sure you follow the gulf drives on Sanibel, instead of driving up Periwinkle to lessen the traffic flow.

Now traffic does get pretty congested in the Ft Myers area, but I can't advise on that other than patience.

Atlantic Coast
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which beach to stay at? Spring break 2010

There are so many places available for rent right on the Sanibel beaches, I'd try for one of those. I'd really try to avoid Summerlin Road and route 41 traffic and would just park myself on a gorgeous Sanibel or Captiva beach.

9. Re: Which beach to stay at? Spring break 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2010, 05:16