We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Chicago to Ft Myers

Richmond,Il
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Chicago to Ft Myers

I have a friend that wants to come visit me in Ft Myers(I'll be driving down there Nov & Dec), but I'm not sure if I should tell her to fly into Ft Myers, Naples or Punta Gorda? Does anyone know which airlines fly down there and what might be her best choice? Thanks

Pam

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Chicago to Ft Myers

Ft Myers is the biggest airport and has the most airlines. I cant speak for Naples but I don't think there is even an option to fly Chicago into Punta Gorda.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Chicago to Ft Myers

Check each airport's website. They list the airlines and which cities they serve.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Chicago to Ft Myers

Sarasota, or Ft. Myers have the most flights.

Southwest goes nonstop between MDW and Tampa.

I think Airtran, does nonstops between Sarasota and MDW.

Edited: 05 October 2011, 18:02
Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Chicago to Ft Myers

We are using Airtran out of Milwaukee to Sarasota for Dec. The prices were cheaper for us that way, even though we usually fly out of ORD.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Chicago to Ft Myers

Hi Pam

Chicago / Rockford RFD to Punta Gorda / Ft Myers PGD flights are available nonstop November 11 through April 30 on Mondays and Fridays

Flights from Chicago leave at 9:40 am arriving in Punta Gorda at 1:30pm

Return flight from Punta Gorda departs at 7am arriving in Chicago/Rockford at 8:54 am

Currently there is a 50% fare sale (book before Sunday) if you use promo code YLXEM - I picked random dates and tried the code and I could book that flight round trip for $168.85 with all taxes and fees -

website is www.visitdirectair.com

Punta Gorda airport is small and very easy to park and get around. The planes for Direct Air and Allegiant (both fly out of that airport) are good sized planes 144 - 168 passenger for Direct Air.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Chicago to Ft Myers

If someone is coming to Fort Myers, why would there even be a choice between flying into Ft. Myers (with the only medium-hub international airport serving the major airlines in Southwest Florida)? Why would someone ever want to fly into Punta Gorda or Naples to go to Ft Myers? Those are commuter airports at best. Sarasota is at least an hour and a half away, and is a lesser airport than Southwest Florida International. RSW is the only reasonable choice if flying from Chicago to Fort Myers, period.

Litchfield Park...
Level Contributor
159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Chicago to Ft Myers

Exactly Dave, between AA & United there are at least 3 non-stops daily between O'hare & RSW. Southwest has at least 4 nonstops daily between Midway & RSW.

8. Re: Flying Chicago to Ft Myers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2013, 10:31