We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

I was in FMB a few years ago. There was a boat trip you could take to Key West. Does anyone know the name of this company?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,372 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

Google Key West Express.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

thank you. Has anyone taken this tour? We are trying to decide between doing the tour or driving to Key West for an overnight trip to Key West. We will be staying in Treasure Island, but wanted to see Key West.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,372 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

It's not a tour as such ... just a boat service to go between Key West and Ft. Myers. You'll see more if you drive from Ft. Myers to KW and the drive over the 7-mile bridge is spectacular. The drive would also be cheaper.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

From Treasure Island, the drive would be close to 8 hours to Key West. I don't think it would be worth the drive for one night, but that's me. You would have to overnight in Ft. Myers or get up early to drive from TI to catch the ferry to KW. Do a search for reviews of the ferry trip in the Ft. Myers Beach forum for thoughts on it.

Edited: 31 August 2012, 14:22
Estero, Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

The name of the boat is Key West Express. I live in Ft. Myers and I love it...the best way to travel to the keys! The boat has a little bar and a concession stand, and one of the boats even has a few slot machines on one of the decks. The top deck is a beautiful place to ride if you enjoy the view of the water.

Also, if you're looking for a place to stay in Fort Myers Beach before or after your key west trip, check out Beach Accommodations. (www.beachaccommodations.com) Great deals on beach house or beach condo rentals (much better than staying in a hotel).

Hope this helps! Have fun in Key West!!

Lemmon, South Dakota
Level Contributor
364 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

It looks as if the trip over and back would be about $150/pp. Plus the cost of a motel in the Keys. There are six adults!

Is it really worth it to spend a couple days of a two week trip to Ft. Myers to travel to the Keys in January? We already have a place to stay in Ft. Myers.

If so, why and what would be something that are 'must do's.'

Thanks.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,951 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

In Jan it would be iffy to do anything in the water - snorkelng or diving. Orherwise, paddleboardong or kayaking would be OK. But IMO, two days in Key West wouldn't' be worth the cost of getting / staying there.

Pjk

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,699 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

Also keep in mind that if taking the boat trip, as PJK said the weather and water can be rough. The boat trip will be rough too. I would save the keys for another trip when you can stay several days. Check the Florida Keys & Key West forums for more info. Keep in mind too the the keys do not have great beaches like the gulf area does.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

Thank you all for your imput! It is quite a drive to Key West, but much cheaper to drive. The 16 hour time on the road for a one night stay is a little much. We still haven"t made up our mind as to what we are doing as far as the Key West trip. We love the Treasure Island beaches and Fort myers beach area. I dont think I want much more than 1 day annd night in Key West.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
257 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat trip from Ft Myers Beach to Key West?

I drove to KW from Ft. Lauderdale a couple of years ago, stayed there 2 nights and saw lots. On out drive back we stayed in Key Largo for 2 nights. I wish we stayed 1 more night in KW and 1 less in KL. I recommend 2-3 nights in KW, its an expensive town but a must see at least once.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 02:58