We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

Was on Fort Myers Beach Friday, Sept. 21st in three different areas. Northern end (?) Where all the colorful shops and live entertainment and fishing pier, was terrible. The beach and shops and ambience was wonderful, but the water was ICKY. Really scary brown and smelled. Ill swim in almost anything, but I didnt even stick my toes in this.

Then we went farther down, sorry didnt note which access point it was, and the water was not as ugly, but a far cry from beautiful. The smell here was worse in my opinion. Very strong sulpher-like odor. I waded in up to my lower thighs here.

Finally we decided to head as far south as possible. Im not sure why, we drove all the way up to lovers key and couldnt find public beach access point past # 11. So it was further disapointing that the farthest south we could beach at was that point, when there was quite a bit more of beach past that point that we coildnt get into. At beach access 11 the water was the best of the 3, but I still wouldnt have called it great or even nice at all. All the water just seemed dirty and polluted dark to me, and smelly.

Fort Myers beach area seems so lovely, with lots of nice hotels and lots of budget motels, colorful shops and restaurants. Im not sure what is wrong with the water. Is it BP pollution?

I also dont know why we couldnt access the beach further south. I had read on trip advisor posts that there was an outfit on the beach near holiday that had water sports, jet skis, parasailing and such, but everywhere we turned in were "No Tresspassing" ." Guests Only" signs. Had some money to burn, and nowhere to do so.

All in all rather disapointed. We kept paying alot in parking, only to leave after 30 minutes or so to hop in the car and look for another nicer stretch of beach.

This was a day trip as we are looking for a nice west coast beachy place for a 2013 vacay w grandkids. Another couple we met at access 11 were dismayed by the water quality also. They told us they were last on FMB 30 years ago, and then the water was crystal clear. We are checking out Clearwater Beach tomorow, hope that is nicer. We also liked Siesta Key in April.

Does anyone know what is really wrong witho the water? I mean it was downright ugly, and im really not a water snob. ??

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

Clearwater isn't much better in terms of clarity. I have never noticed a sulphur odor in Ft Myers. There are multiple access points for Lovers Key. The beach at the main entrance is very nice. The BP spill never made it past the panhandle.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

Surffish we didnt want to go to Lovers Key. We were looking for access point to FM Beach somewhere farther south of #11 up to before the bridge to Lovers key. thats a fairly long stretch of beach which we had read has cleaner water than the northern end. We also read there was a watersports/ boat trip company near the Holiday Inn on that end we were interested in, yet couldnt find parking for that or any public access points. It was odd because the public access points were numbered at the numbers were highest at the north end and went down . #11 was the lowest number and furthest south we could find, so we thought we were doing something wrong in that we couldnt find # 10-1. We kept looking and driving back and forth, but access 11 was the lowest and most southern we did find.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,401 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

Seriously B.P really? even when the oil was reaching beaches in the panhandle over 2 years ago we saw absoutely nothing this far South.

Now what causes the water quality to be murky or brackish this time of year at F.M.B (offseason slowest time of year here) is this is when they release the water from Lake O which makes the water this way. Its a mixture of fresh water from lake O and salt water from the gulf.

S.C

Edited: 24 September 2012, 15:35
Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

Hurricane Isaac which dumped quite a bit of rain is likley to blame, not really here but lake Okeechobee was too high so water was released. In doing so, the river and eventually the Gulf gets the "ichey water" It is a hot topic around here and although I do not make money from the tourist industry those that do get reviews like this hate it. There is no debating that somedays the water is crystal clear, others days is seems like sewage. The futher away from the Caloosahatchee river the better the quality could have been.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,277 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

I agree, this happens mainly when they let water out of the Lake. It would not happen at other times of year (when it is dryer like Winter/spring.

It is a nuisance, but has to be done from time to time and should not affect any future vacations (unless you always come in the rainy season).

Have a look at Anna Maria island too, much better for kids than big built up and busy Clearwater.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

The watersports/ boats are on the other side of the road at the marina at the Santini Plaza which has public parking.There are kayaks for rent at Lovers Key.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
460 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

Was just on Marco Island... Water was very clean

Siesta Key, Florida
Level Contributor
209 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

Siesta Key is wonderful.

9. Re: Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 September 2012, 07:05
10. Re: Sorry to say, the water is not good at all.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 September 2012, 07:05