We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatee Park - kayak launch?

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Manatee Park - kayak launch?

I see that you can rent kayaks here to kayak on the Orange River, but does anyone know if you can launch your own kayak there?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manatee Park - kayak launch?

I seem to remember that you can, and if you read the info under "Suggested Routes" here, it appears that you can launch your own kayak. I would call the park directly to confirm. http://www.leeparks.org/blueway/index.html

It's very crowded (with people with little to no canoeing experience) when manatees are there, so you might look for a nearby launch site to access the river.

MidWest USA
Level Contributor
99 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manatee Park - kayak launch?

Yes, there is a place to launch in back of the main parking lot, look for the signs. Parking fee of 1 or 2 dollars an hour in the park for cars in most Lee county parks. Was too warm for Manatees yesterday afternoon. Water too warm yet.

There are lots of places to launch all around Fort Myers, Cape Coral and the Fort Myers beach or Sanibel and Captiva islands. Near bridges seem to have lots of free places to park.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Manatee Park - kayak launch?

Do they charge a launch fee also, or just a parking fee?

We won't be there until February, hopefully by then the manatees will be there.

MidWest USA
Level Contributor
99 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manatee Park - kayak launch?

No I do not think they charge any fee to launch. Lots of places to launch around the area. Yes, there will be Manatees there in Feb. attracted to the warm water from power plant.

5. Re: Manatee Park - kayak launch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2013, 06:16