We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
michigan
Level Contributor
739 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

We will be going to Captiva for 2 weeks early April.

Does anyone have an idea how to get a lower car rental rate. The quoted rates are OK until you add airport fees and florida taxes.

we need a full size car because we will be 4 adults and a child in a car seat plus stroller in the trunk.

Thanks for the help

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

check www.hotwire.com

michigan
Level Contributor
739 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

thanks, Hot Wire is what we have used in the past. How close to the rental date do you get the best deals?

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

Not sure, I just remember someone getting best deal with them. Maybe start a new post with that question, then we'll all know :)

Edited: 02 February 2013, 19:35
Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

I too have been checking Hot wire rates, almost daily, and unfortunately the rates are very high right now. For instance last yr. I rented a mid size suv( mercury mariner) for about $195 for the last week of Feb into March. This yr. when I put in those dates, it comes to about $400 for the smallest, least expensive economy car. If thats the case, I probably wont bother renting and instead will just taxi my way to and from the airport to FMB. Once on FMB, the trolley will suffice. So, car rental companies, if you want my business, then lower your rates!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

www.rentalcars.com is part of priceline, they advertise $11/day

Level Contributor
365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

We visited last summer and the rate for a mid sized car was about 400 for the week. Unless they are running a special there is no way to get the rate lower....it is what it is.

Level Contributor
365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental

We visited last summer and the rate for a mid sized car was about 400 for the week. Unless they are running a special there is no way to get the rate lower....it is what it is.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental

check discount codes at sites like www.rentalcodes.com , if you absolutely can't find a decent rate then go with sites like www.priceline.com & www.hotwire.com . The only problem with Priceline & Hotwire is they are non-refundable so you have to be 100% happy with the rate because if you later see a lower rate, you can't cancel & re-book like you can if you were to book directly using discount codes.

ohio
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental

carrental.com

check their reviews first. I was scared away !!!

i googled carrental.com reviews

Edited: 04 February 2013, 02:05
Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental

oh sorry, I just heard about it and did not research as I don't need a rental car here! Did you check orbitz and kayak?

Edited: 04 February 2013, 02:41