We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marshfield...
Level Contributor
86 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

I'm having a horrible time trying to find a car rental for our trip in April. We're flying in to Ft. Myers on April 5 and staying until April 16. Usually we find cars in the $12-18 per day range through Priceline, but we're only seeing prices upwards of $50-60 per day, with a total for our vacation of over $900! Does anyone know of any tricks or sites to get something more reasonable? Or do you think prices will come down? Anyone know why they're so high right now? Any help is appreciated!

Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

I'm in the same boat only ill be there next week. The bedt rates I have found are on Hotwire. For next week they're running at about $42 daily making the week total a bit over $400. U can try googling budget coupons I found one that saved about $35 you just have to enter the code good luck. I hope they drop ... Real soon!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

You are coming at the height of season. Cars will be scarce. Have you looked at renting off-airport? I would reserve something and then keep checking rates daily.

Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

Ps also the rates are cheaper away from the airport, in fact about half price. However you'll have to factor in cab fair to go get car and then again to drop off to get back to airport I figured $100 for that bringing my week to $300 So for the extra $100 I have the convenience of getting and dropping the car right at rsw

Marshfield...
Level Contributor
86 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

I just went on Priceline.com and bid $20/day and got it with Hertz! You may be able to do even better for your trip. Worth a try!

Toronto
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

I got an SVU (ford escape) for $250 through Thrifty (8 days mid april). It's for the Sarasota airport though. It was $65 cheaper than the next lowest price from all car companies...and I'm talking compact. Not sure if it was a gliche but I'm not complaining.

Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

I took your advice and got a mid size for $20 per day as well. Thanks for the tip! I also just realized that you are from Marshvegas...cool I am the next town over Duxbury. Thanks again, enjoy your trip.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

nm.....

Edited: 20 February 2013, 03:26
jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

Try National car rental, go to their site and join the Emerald club for a discount.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

Try Costco travel if you're a member and definitely try off site for pickup. I found no extra charge to drop off at airport when leaving.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

how much would it cost in taxi fare to pick up at Budget on Fowler Street in Fort Myers versus Budget at the airport?

I can save about $100 on a 3 week rental if I pick up there. ($645 versus $749 for a intermediate size car)

Travelling April 26 to May 11.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 21:22