We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Fort Meyer area..

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time in Fort Meyer area..

Will be turning 50 this November and thinking about a long weekend to Fort Meyer area. The reason I chose Ft Meyer is the sea shells, beaches, weather(from wisconsin). Do not know what area to stay in. Captiva,Sanibel, Ft. Meyer beach area. Heard that Cap[tiva and Sanibel is slow paced. Would it be wise to stay in FT Meyers beach and make the Islands a day trip? Hopefully you can help me.

I will be renting a car.

I am looking for a nice beach, near good restaurants, and shopping, beach bars,sunsets and some activites nearby.

Where would you stay if it was your first time in the Fort Meyers area.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Fort Meyer area..

Would it be wise to stay in Ft Myers Beach and do day trips? Yes.

There are areas to stay with distinctly different activity levels on Ft Myers Beach within about 4 miles too. How busy of an area do you want? The shelling will be better on the south side of the island which is more laid back. Some areas are close to a plaza with bars and restaurants though. The beach further south is huge, and there is a trolley that runs up to the other side of the island for $0.50.

If you don't get the answer that you want, send me a PM, and I will try to answer Monday. I have been down there quite a few times now, and I have stayed at about 4 different places on the island.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Fort Meyer area..

Thank you Surffish

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Fort Meyer area..

I agree with surffish....FMB and a day trip to Sanibel/Captiva....the southend is the quieter end of the island....northend is by time square area with the fishing pier, shops, restaurants/bars. several waterfront restaurants to choose from on FMB. Check out lovers key!

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Fort Meyer area..

We enjoy FMB and enjoy day trips over the S&C. If you would like to be in walking distance to Time SQ, you might the Diamond Head Beach Resort or the Pink Shell resort. You are also a short ride from Naples which has some nice shopping and restaurants. I really like S&C but it's a little quiet for us.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Fort Meyer area..

I like the restaurants better in Fort Myers, and Sanibel/Captiva over Fort Myers Beach but for what you are looking for, Fort Myers beach might be a good home base for you. Day tripping should be easy from there providing the traffic is too bad. Also keep in mind there is a $6 toll every time you drive over the bridge to Sanibel/Captiva.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Fort Meyer area..

Edison Beach House is near Time Square with walking distance to Restaurants/Bars/Shops/etc Right on the Beach and at the base of the Skybridge with easy on/off.

Southend I would do Holiday Inn or Outrigger, both Beach front and restaurants on site, walking to Santini Plaza

Midwest
Level Contributor
151 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Fort Meyer area..

Agreed, Ft. Myers as a homebase for your short stay. You'll love RSW airport, small and convenient, 11 miles from the beach. No budget (?) for your youthful adventure? Beachfront is more, and most anyplace will get you some nice beach and (hopefully) decent sunsets over the Gulf with a cool drink and camera in hand. Dining options will vary, nothing wrong with burgers or pizza, but maybe one special nite for your big Five-0! The car may only be needed to get to Sanibel, perhaps a 30 min. drive over the toll bridge, but don't miss the awesome beaches. Public parking is usually metered, at $2/hr. Credit cards accepted!! Since you asked on T-A, hope you've also followed the many reviews on Ft. Myers Beach. Hope this long link works: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34231-d27…

Good luck, and enjoy your expedition.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Fort Meyer area..

If we were to purchase a Sun Pass for our rental vehicle, would this toll be taken off that? Thanks!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Fort Meyer area..

The Sunpass is a prepaid toll system. My tolls get taken from my credit card. You pay the toll one way or the other.

That bridge does take cash too. You do not need to pay the daily fee for the rental car if you want to pay cash for the tolls.

10. Re: First time in Fort Meyer area..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:20