We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October trip--questions!

NY
3 posts
Save Topic
October trip--questions!

Planning a trip to Fort Myers around October 15th. Any worries about hurricane season? Best place to stay on the water to view sunsets? Especially interested in Gulf view! I'm overwhelmed by all the internet information and have found this forum to friendly and helpful. Thanks for any help.

Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: October trip--questions!

October generally is pretty stormy hurricane wise. But thus far we've not had any hurricane activity this year so you may get lucky. October and November are the highest points of the hurricane season though. But, honestly, there's not that much danger involved if you heed warnings and even if you unexpectedly get caught in one, you just hunker down, lose power, and sweat in the no-airconditioning. ;)

As for hotels with a gulf view, it depends on how much money you want to spend and what kind of atmosphere you want. Fort Myers Beach has the typical beach bar, cheap greasy food atmosphere. Sanibel Island has far more beautiful beaches, but is further from Fort Myers town centre (30-60 minutes drive) and a $6 toll each time you enter the island. So... I guess it depends on the purpose of the trip... if you want to do some beach living, go to Sanibel. I'd recommend the Pink Shell down there--and be sure to ask for a water view! The island has great hikes, bike rentals, white sand beaches, and awesome resturants. If you want to drink like a fish and want easy access (25 min drive) to Fort Myers, stay at Fort Myers Beach. If you want super easy access to Fort Myers and would be happy with river view, stay on the river.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
375 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October trip--questions!

Statistically there are relatively few storms after October 15. Last year of course had unusually high activity. In the Atlantic over the last 3 years August and September have proven the most active for tropical storms and H's. You should have no problem at the time you mentioned.

2003-2005 Totals: June= 3, July= 8, August= 15, September= 13, October= 12, November= 4, December= 3.

As for gulf views, anywhere on the water from Lover's Key to Captiva will give you what you want. The best actual beach and usually best water, I would say is found on Captiva. That area is beautiful, quiet and remote. The best balance, of overall beach activity though I think is Ft. Myers Beach.

The last poster must have been stung by a jellyfish or had a very limited exposure to the area if they think FMB is a "cheap, greasy food atmosphere", and the implication that you will only enjoy FMB "if you want to drink like a fish" is clearly an inappropriate observation.

You need only to read some of the forum posts about the FMB area and family activities & atmosphere to get a real picture.

Whichever you choose however will provide a great vacation.

Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: October trip--questions!

hehe, actually, having been born, raised, and living in Fort Myers, I've spend 27 of my 27 years here (minus, of course, college semesters). Of course my observations on the area are generalizations, but I wanted to give an impression of the types of things one can go for--some people, after all, come to sip Coronas all day and to do that, I'd recommend FMB. If someone wanted to go to bars and partying each night, they should stick to FMB rather than go to Sanibel and Captiva which have really no night life. FMB also has far more "beach bars" for sipping beers or margaritas during the day than the other beaches and better (what I call) dive food--greasy, rustic beach resturants open to the sand (that doesn't mean you can't find quality food--it's just not why you would go to FMB because quality food is more plentiful at the other beaches). As for drinking like a fish, hehe, I didn't mean to imply that the ONLY thing to do there is drink, as certianly there is more to do than drink(especially since coming into FM at night is so easy from FMB), but if you are looking for a party-kind of beach, which many people are, FMB is it rather than Sanibel or Captiva. That was my only point in that... :)

I think if someone wanted a touristy beach experience (which is fantastic with bike paths and fun stores and ice cream shops) they should choose Sanibel. I love Sanibel Island.

And if someone wanted more naturally-preserved beaches that are less crowded (but also have less "to do," I'd suggest Captiva (which is also my favorite beach, though I prefer boating up to Upper Captiva and eating and fishing up there sans beach).

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
375 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October trip--questions!

Well said, Friendof. :-)

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October trip--questions!

Syrtravler,

October is one of the nicest times to come to florida....especially Sanibel!!! August and September are the busiest Hurricane months although Wilma surprised us last October.

If you are looking for awesome sunset views, West Gulf Drive is the place to stay. Some of the best properties there are Point Santo, Sayana, Island Beach Club and Sand Point. The prices vary accordingly $1350 plus tax for a Gulf Front 2 / 2 condo and $850.00 to $950.00 for a gulf view- Try the chamber for more information www.sanibel-captiva.org or www.sanibel.cc. Point Santo has 4th floor units with private rooftop sundecks. Panoramic views from up there....it doesn't get much better than that. I hope that you have a wonderful vacation wherever you choose to go!

NY
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: October trip--questions!

Thanks to all for the info! I've booked our flight ("our" includes daughters 19 &22 yrs). Thinking about booking at Diamond Head. Hopefully, this wil be centrally located enough to keep everyone happy and occupied. Probably last time we all vacation together as they are moving on! Thanks again. Any other tips are gratefully appreciated. ;))

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October trip--questions!

If your family is "outdoorsy", drive south to Lovers Key State Park (www.floridastateparks.org) and rent canoes or kayaks for paddling around the area. It's a lot of fun, gets you "back to nature", and you might see a manatee! It would be a memorable part of your trip.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October trip--questions!

We've stayed for several years at Pointe Estero on south end of Estero Island- fantastic gulf view from your private screened balcony. I Highly recommend!!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: October trip--questions!

You'll love Diamondhead, they'll probably hang out at Lani Kai which is walking distance. I'm not sure but at that time of year sunsets are way north so ask for an upper floor. Time square is just blocks north of Diamondhead where we have a pedestrian only area with shops, bars & cafes. When you get in town grab our free weekly beach papers for activities and bands,etc.

NY
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: October trip--questions!

Thanks for all your help! Anything to keep them occupied for 5 days is a great help.