We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

We just returned from a week on Marco Island and had a great time. But I wanted to post a warning about car rental from RSW. We rented a minivan through Avis and did not purchase the tank of gas - choosing to return the vehichle with a full tank. DO NOT WAIT TO FILL UP THE TANK AT THE AIRPORT BEFORE RETURNING THE CAR. There was not one gas station between the I-75 freeway exit and the airport. I asked the rental car agent where the nearest gas station was and she said it was about a 10 minute drive. So, not having an extra 1/2 hour to go looking for a gas station, we had to pay the outrageous $6.00/gallon. We had about 1/2 a tank of gas upon return so it cost us $65 for 1/2 a tank of gas. :o[

When we picked up the rental car, the Avis agent failed to let us know there were no gas stations anywhere in the vicinity of the airport. So be warned if renting a car from RSW - if you need to return the car with a full tank, fill it up before arriving at the airport!!

Mentioned in this post
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

I also rented a car at RSW and was able to find several gas stations on Daniels Parkway, the road to RSW, east of route 75. Daniels Parkway is between route 75 and route 45. I was lucky enough to have a mapping program that will show gas station locations which I checked prior to leaving home.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

I need to correct my last post. The gas stations are actually west of route 95

I live on the east coast and sometimes have trouble remembering the beaches in the Fort Myers area are west not east like at home.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Lakewood OH
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

Do you have the name of the gas station and exact location? Dtr is returning to RSW Christmas night with little gas in her car parked there. Need to know so we can call to make sure they are open 24 hrs.

pls respond to karenmg@core.com Thank you,

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

This is one I've used.

Racetrac Petroleum

9400 Daniels Pkwy

Fort Myers, FL, 33912-4511

(239) 768-0064

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
South Jersey
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

There is a huge BP station just EAST (airport side) of 95 off Daniels at Ben Hill Griffin Pkwy (the new road to get to RSW). A five minute drive from the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

If my memoryserves me correct, rather than taking Alico road, go to Daniels Parkway, the next exit north. There are several gas stations both east and west.

This is the old way of getting into the airport before the current renovations.

From I-75 and Daniels Parkway, it is about a mile east to Treeline road and then south approximatley 3 miles to the new entrance.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

There is a Circle K gas station on Daniels Parkway just a short distance West of RSW.

13391 Danport Blvd, Fort Myers, FL

(239) 768-5599

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

Some news for your next trip. At exits 123 and 128 the two exits on I75 just before the airport there are gas stations just off the exit. I always use these stations before returning my car to RSW.

Jovina

Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

Some helpful information for your next trip. At exits 123 and 128 the two exits on I75 just before the airport there are gas stations just off the exit. I always use these stations before returning my car to RSW.

Jovina

Wooster, Ohio
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental Warning: Fort Myers (RSW)

Remember, when you fill up a tank the needle stays on full for several miles. I fill up in Naples and turn in the auto at RSW with the requisite full tank. The 20 or so miles I've driven don't register. I've done this several times with no problem.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL