We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches and water

dallas
6 posts
Save Topic
beaches and water

what color is the water and sand? Is the water pretty clear or dirty looking?

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches and water

Depending on release of the Okachobee River. It is mostly beautiful unless the river has been releaed, then it is brownish. I love the sand, it is finely crushed shells. Shelling is the ultimate on Bowman's Beach early in the morning.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,599 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches and water

How often do they open the river? My husband was in the bonita beach area last week and he said the water was dirty looking ( very murky). We are planning a summer vac this july and are trying to decide on the beach area best for us,

( either bonita beach area, naples or fort myers beach). We have never been there before and don't know what to expect.

U.S.A
Level Contributor
414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches and water

I know this sounds nuts, but for a relaxing beach getaway, we tried North Miami Beach (Sunny Isles) last year. It was so nice and the water was clear, the sand beautiful and white. We stayed in the 19201 Collins Ave. area and it was nothing like the wild and party place of South Beach, which by the way wasn't half as nice as Sunny Isles. I have pics if you want to see. E-mail me at way2wet4me@yahoo.com. We are headed back there in June as well as August. It's one of the whitest sand beaches we've seen, besides the Bahamas of course. Our other favorites for white sand and clear, see-thru water is Clearwater Beach (Gulf Side), St. Andrews State Park Beach near Panama City Beach (Gulf Side), and Holmes Beach/Bradenton Beach/Anna Maria Island on the Gulf Side of Florida. If you want a white, white sand beach have you considered going to the Bahamas? We are paying about the same for our Florida trip this year as we did our Grand Bahama Island trip last year. We took AirTran Airways there and stayed at the Island Seas condos, which are right on the beach (with some units across the road from the beach). This was the best beach on the island in our opinion and we saw lots while there. Look at http://www.condoexpress.com. We rented from them and had no issues with them. You can also see pics from there if you want to e-mail me. Hope this was helpful.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,599 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches and water

Thanks for the info, ahhh.... bahamas oh i wish. You see my husband is a truck driver and he goes 2 to 3 times a month to north naples and we are from canada. SO for my summer holidays every year i go with him in the truck and we stay at the destination he goes to for the week. Last year we went to deerfield beach, fl and we loved every second of it. But he only does naples now so we are looking for something in that area ( a hotel that has truck parking and not too far from the beach). Thanks, lin

Alma, Michigan
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches and water

For my money, a quality beach with fewer people, bathrooms available, beautiful white sand and clear water, you can go to Barefoot Beach, just south of the public beach at Bonita. Drive through the multi-million dollar homes to a delightful beach. Also, Lovers Key is a must - much less populated but rustic. I've gone to beaches up and down the coast, as well as the East coast, and you can't beat the gulf. If you're up to a day-trip, the beach at the south end of the Englewood key beats Sanibel hands down for shelling - no bugs, and less people and no causeway fees. Further away is St Pete Beach with John's Pass - beautiful beach but the water is not quite as clear.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beaches and water

Ft. Meyers is not too bad of beach is a tad brown as are most of the area beaches, the above recomendations are fine. I have stood waist high in the water and could see my toes at times but most of the time it is not too clear, like the Carribean water is. The whitest sand on our side is Siesta Key.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: beaches and water

Water clarity depends on several factors. We've had an unusual amount of rain, which means more runoff and more freshwater releases. The "brown" water -- we call it tea-colored -- comes mostly from the tannins in leaves. (You should have seen the water after Charley dumped thousands of trees in the rivers and bays.) Clarity is also affected by wind, which we've also had a lot of. The wind churns up the bottom, which makes the water look murky. And then there's red tide, seaweed, etc.

Summer -- barring hurricanes, of course -- means more rain and less wind, so you can't always predict what the vis will be. June usually isn't the rainiest part of the season, plus water releases aren't as frequent because Lake Okeechobee is usually not as high and the ground is still soaking up the rain instead of shedding it into the rivers and bays.

If you want to try snorkeling or diving, the clarity for snorkeling is usually best around the Venice area -- shark's teeth -- and offshore pretty much anywhere is good for diving.

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers
Recent Conversations