We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red drift algae

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Red drift algae

I have read news reports that the red drift algae is bad at FMB...like 2003. Can anyone there offer a fair assessment of the situation? We will be down in a few weeks and as always, will have have a good time no matter what!

Ontario
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Red drift algae

Just back yesterday from Fort Myers beach - arrived on the 3rd of Feb/07. The red drift algae is really bad right now - all the way down the beach. We stayed close to the Diamond Head - between there and the pier it is nothing but algae (we didn't walk the other way but you could still see it all the way down the beach) - bad enough that no one was going in the water. There is a lot of controversy in the town about it.- - we actually talked to one of the "beach rangers" who was encouraging people to contact town officials and complain. It got progressively warmer the whole time we were there and with that came the unpleasant smell that the algae emits. We did go to Lovers Key (twice) and there wasn't any there at all - the beach was clear all the way. Maybe by the time you go it will have been cleaned up or the tides will pull it back out. We also heard while we were there that Sanibel was covered in it as well so we didn't bother venturing there. All in all we had a fantastic time though - didn't want to go in the water but we could still catch the rays on the beach!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red drift algae

Yes-its bad and embarressing. The town needs to get off their duff and do something about it. They say something about environmentalists won't allow raking of the beach but we say-rake it.

It is not Turtle nesting time so I don't understand. We may have to take it into our own hands and put the algae on town hall-bet they'd rake it then...Its getting warmer and starting to smell bad..

Ottawa
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Red drift algae

yipikiaa/beachbratz...thanks for the update...and for not sugar-coating the truth! Yes, with any luck it will be gone by the time we are there, but either way we will make the best of it.

Beachbratz, I agree that FMB council should take a hard look at what can be done. Here in Ottawa we have a beautiful canal that runs through the city. A few years back seaweed started to grow to the top of the water and spread out like a mat (primarily because the water was clearer!)...it was ugly and could get smelly on hot days. Rather than leave it, the city now has crews that actually cut and skim the stuff off the top...it is a never-ending job and they barely keep ahead of it, but it works and the canal remains a delight.

If the algae off FMB is a result of nutrients discharged with Lake O water, then hey, IT IS NOT A NATURAL OCCURENCE! So why not clean it up..this is not upsetting Mother Nature's Grand Plan! There are large beaches on Lake Ontario that have weed problems that are dealt with by having tractors rake, pile and remove the weeds.

You gotta think that with soooo much $$ in the area dependent on tourism, this would be priority #1. I know people in the tourism industry in Canada and they all say that one or two years of bad news spreads like a virus - and the tourists and the dollars can dry up fast. Hope the leaders of FMB do the right thing...

In the meantime, we are still looking forward to our time there - red

algae or not!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red drift algae

Good For You-come on down and make the best of it.

I just walked out and its still there BUT people are laying on the beach, making sand castles, playing frisbee and having fun. It is NOT red tide, no one is coughing/clearing their throats. Have a gr8 time.

Worcester, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red drift algae

Hi there,

I'm just wondering how long the algae stays around for typically...weeks? months? And, what makes it go away? We'll be arriving in 8 days...what are the chances that it will be g-o-n-e??

Since we're in Massachusetts and we're having quite the storm right now, anything sounds better than this, but smelly algae isn't all that appealing when we're renting a beachfront condo!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red drift algae

Its from the run off when THEY release water from Lake Okeechobee now THEY need to rake it out of here or we wait for Mother Nature to take care of it. Its s.l.o.w.l.y going away :(. we have cool weather coming in next few days and I'm sure that will help.

Stay Warm...

Franklin...
Level Contributor
340 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red drift algae

i was wondering if the stink and crap on the beach was normal for fort myers beach

i was a little disappointed with my visit ... I thought the area would be a little nicer...

I stopped by the diamond head for lunch... and was amazed that 2 doors down are 2 homes that look to be abandoned?? seemed kind of odd

also what's with places using the word resort when clearly it's just a hotel?

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red drift algae

No, red seaweed algae is not normal for Ft. Myers Beach and it will be gone soon.

The old beach homes near Diamondhead were destroyed in Hurricane Charley to the point where the owners won't put $$ into the homes-they would rather sell the property. Did you see the empty lot at the base of the Skybridge? That was once 2 Motels and I don't know what requirements are to name a place "Resort" But we also lost The Reef and Mucky Duck and Tropical Inn so yes 3 years later we are not up to par, but we will be again. We would just like to stay quaint and not be built up like Miami. I know I don't want to see the roof tops of high rises coming over the bridge instead of the water, boats, parasailing and beach life. Come On Back, Its beautiful the end of April.....

Iowa
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red drift algae

I agree, I was at the diamondhead the last week in jan. and the beach was gross, you could not go near the water, I went to sanibel beach, while hubby was golfing and the red algae was awful, i walked along way and it did not get better, it was really hard to find any shells, they are few and to get them near the water my feet kept getting tangled with the yucky seaweed! it was bad!!

But, hubby did see gators on the course, and a big 5 ft. iguana.

it was the highlight for my 18 yr. old sons trip, his first time to florida!

Were going back the first week in april, hopefully the awful mess in the water will be better, otherwise, I am going to go to a different beach!

Why pay alot of money to go to that mess.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red drift algae

I agree and if you go south to Lovers Key at the south end of Ft. Myers Beach it was clear, so mother nature is doing her thing. I love it here in April-all the hustle & bustle of spring break is over and we get the Island back to ourselves, the traffic is gone and the weather is picture perfect-so here's to a picture perfect beach by then.

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach