We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Ft Myers Beach

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sandusky,Ohio
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1st time in Ft Myers Beach

We spent 2000 2001 and 2002 on Sanibel [beautiful but boring]

We spent 2003 in West Palm [my son lives there]..

We spent 2004 2005 2006 in Clearwater beach -Indian Rocks

This year its Ft Myers Beach My wife and I are 51 we like the Beach, Tiki Bars... Live music at the Tiki bars {on the Beach } Blues Clubs and Great Beach front resturants. So

Give me some names of places and people to look for...Thanks... We will be there Apr 28 - May 5

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in Ft Myers Beach

thebeaconmotel.com It is in a great location surrounded by bars/restaurants. You'll be here at a great time, rates drop and spring break is over, traffic is minimal. Beacon is nestled between Surf Club-local bar & liquor store, locals gather on Sundays for "church" $1.00 Bloody Marys til noon! and Gulfshore Cottage-open for breakfast, lunch, dinner & late nite menu and directly across from Beached Whale. Live music, shopping=all walking distance or cabs hang out across the street at 7-11. Best Seafood at Fish Monger before Ft. Myers Beach skybridge and Reggae on the docks at Bridge Restaurant under the bridge every Sunday. When you get here grab a local paper Bulletin, Observer or Sand Paper-they list who's playing & where. Barking Shark for Biscuit Band on Tuesdays 7-11. House Rockers at Caseys Alley are awesome although its a smoking bar but its just as entertaining outside on the sidewalk! Weekends 9-2. And definetly check out Mary Winner on the upper deck of Matanzas. Dockside is a Sports bar with the best pizza and SOB has entertainment/food/bar/fun.

seakeywestexpress.com or airboateverglades.com for day trips.

Come On Down, Be Our Guest.

new york
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in Ft Myers Beach

We just spent 10 days on Fort Myers Beach, Diamondhead Beach Resort.. There is a permanent traffic jam from about 10 am until around 9 pm in the evening. You can spend a good part of each day traveling less than 1/2 mile to and from anything. There is only one road parallel to the Gulf Beach and it is busy. Many of the restaurants and shops are concentrated on the North end of the island which attracts traffic from off island plus visitors to the island. You may want to bike (faster than auto) or walk a few miles each way. I will never do any winter time on this island again. Traffic is heavy all around the area making this a auto weary trip. There is a free tolley going up and down the island all day though it sits in the traffic as well. A bright spot is the Lovers Key/Johnson State Park which has much unspoiled beach and better shelling than Sanibel/Captiva. If you have a restaurant in mind, do book near it or you will starve in your car trying to get there.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in Ft Myers Beach

you're right but they will be here in April-May, so you are wrong! We get our Island back to ourselves.

Come on down, you'll love it.

Sandusky,Ohio
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in Ft Myers Beach

Great timing .. beachbratz... I just got on line to ask you how much the Spring crowd thinned out as Spring went on... I think you answered my question before I asked it.. Thanks again

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in Ft Myers Beach

Countdown. __days til Ft. Myers Beach! Buckingham Bar has gr8 blues bands every 3rd saturday in season. I'll see who is playing when you R here. worldfamousbuckinghambar.com. Less than hour drive from beach but well worth it-need designated driver!

new york
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in Ft Myers Beach

Ms. BeachB must be employed in Estero Island/FMB chamber of commerce stuff.

When I asked about the not inconsiderable traffic problem, I was told many times that it does not disappear. There is a two lane road up and down this island and there is no other way to get from hotels and rentals to eating places and other attractions. There is traffic on isalnd until warm weather appears in the north. And then it is very trying at dinner times.

Not one driver that I met was happy about the traffic jam. The trolley was instituted to relieve the traffic jam but not many tourists use it because trolley stops are in the full sun (some without benches) and due to the traffic the trolleys cannot run on time.

It is a a very busy place. The area called Times Square is a commericial area attracting people from everywhere with a few blocks of beachy stores, restaurants and the like.

My info is from February 15 which is when we left to stay in another area where we could sample some restaurants without hours on a a narrow road truly and honestly full of cars and trucks that just sit and sit.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in Ft Myers Beach

Wrong again-I am not employed by the FMB chamber-this is my home and I love my Island..And I put up with people like you year after year! Of course when you go back up North our Traffic disipates

thats only logical. We have to walk or ride bikes to get to work on time and serve you people...So please don't complain about the problem that you cause!

I'm going to have a gr8 day because the sun is shining and it will be 80 degrees, I'm going out to smile at people walking by and wave at the people in traffic.

LJR
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
344 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in Ft Myers Beach

You go Beach Bratz!! I am a northener and understand that I am visiting a vacation state!! There is going to be traffic. Can't wait to visit. Maybe even relocate someday. 57 Days!!!!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in Ft Myers Beach

LJR

Come On Down-we enjoy people who come down and enjoy their time here-I think thats what vacation is all about-right? countdown!

Michigan
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in Ft Myers Beach

I know that the traffic has been a big discussion - with regards to that, can you help me with the DiamondHead location & ability to bike or walk to most places. We have 2 small children so want to be prepared. Do you know if there are bike rentals?

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach