We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the drive from Sarasota International Airport to FMB?

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
How is the drive from Sarasota International Airport to FMB?

We are flying into SRQ on June 3rd around 1:45p.m. and staying at the Best Western Beach Resort. Is it reasonable to expect to be in FMB by 3:30? Is there any construction on 75 and is that our best route to take? Also, for anyone who has ever been to that particular airport is it easy to navigate, i.e. rental car pickup, finding your way out, etc? I appreciate any responses. Thanks.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
246 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the drive from Sarasota International Airport to FMB?

The trip is about 105 miles, which should be about 2 hours given normal traffic patterns. If you arrive at 1:45 and have luggage and a rental to pick up you probably won't be on the road till 2:15 - 2:30. You should make FMB around 4:30 + or -. I'm sure there will be constuction along the way, but even with that, it is the best/fastest route to take.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the drive from Sarasota International Airport to FMB?

You'll be pressed to make it by 3:30; maybe 3:45 or more likely 4:00. The airport is very easy to navigate. There is only one concourse and baggage claim is directly downstairs. Usually there is only one, possibly two, planes that land at the same time so baggage delivery is prompt. Car rental places are all at the baggage claim area, and the cars are parked right outside baggage claim.

I-75 is the best route; I'm not aware of any serious construction on it at the moment. To get to I-75, as you exit the airport you'll run into University Parkway. Turn left on University and go 7 miles. Once you approach I-75, the entrance ramp to head south will be on your right.

Incidentally, when you return to fly home, you'll love the speedy (and friendly!)process of going through Security. It's a great airport!

illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the drive from Sarasota International Airport to FMB?

Thank you so much for the helpful information. It seems like it will be easy to get to FMB. Hopefully I-75 won't be too congested at the time we are traveling. I really appreciate having a place to ask questions regarding our trip. Thanks again.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the drive from Sarasota International Airport to FMB?

I have just driven I-75 from Sarasota to Fort Myers and found very little limiting construction. I do not think you can get to FMB by 3:30 as once you get in the area of Ft. Myers the traffic really picks up. Give yourself until at least 4:00.

5. Re: How is the drive from Sarasota International Airport to FMB?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 17:28
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach