We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A place for that cold beer and good conversation

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
A place for that cold beer and good conversation

Hi, I'm coming over from the UK to visit Fort Myers for my first time at the end of the summaer ( 1st week in September ). We are staying down that way before heading back up the coast to St Petes.

I love nothing more than finding a great little bar where you can call in late afternoon for a few cold ones whilst deciding on what to do that evening, and even perhaps making it a regular stop off on the way home later.... We Brits call it the 'local'

Found a great little bar called the Reef in St Petes that ticks the boxes and would be interested if any regular Fort Myers people can suggest a similar place I should try. I'd hate to spend 6 evenings looking for such a place only to stumble across it on the last evening.

Cheers Steve

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
244 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A place for that cold beer and good conversation

Steve,

You have described SOB (Smokin Oyster Bar). Just a block from Times Square and no question, it is a "local". A couple of other places you may wish to try: Beached Whale & The Yucatan Beach Stand. Yucatan is very near SOB and Beached Whale is a couple blocks South of Times Square. I'm sure there will be other posts on suggestions but it is going to be hard to beat SOB asa "local".

Enjoy

Allentown...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A place for that cold beer and good conversation

Try the cottage bar on the beach , or the tiki bar at the light house resort . they are both walking distance from the times square area . You will have no problem finding a good place , as every thing is a short walk away from each other. Are you staying on the beach or in town?

Clinton, Iowa
Level Contributor
239 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A place for that cold beer and good conversation

Visit FT Myers Beach every year, best bet is the SOB by far. The Beached Whale is a distant second.

Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
677 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A place for that cold beer and good conversation

SOB is great, Yucatan has the coldest beer. Also the Beach Pub on the sand at Avenue E.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A place for that cold beer and good conversation

Hi Steve,another Brit here.First of all,you will love FMB.My wife and i have visited 4 times and tested ALL the bars and most of the resteraunts.We made SOB our local,followed by the beached whale.You will also enjoy the live music being played at most bars.The tiki bar at the lighthouse resort(near time square)is well worth visiting,listening to the music,chilling out and slowly getting merry!!Our favourite resteraunts are the cottage and snug harbour.Enjoy your stay,the American people will look after you!!Take care.

England
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A place for that cold beer and good conversation

Hi everyone - thanks for your suggestions we now have a list of places to visit, and knowing us we will try and visit them all in the first 24 hours when we arrive.... Should be a good afternoon :)

Oswego,Il.
Level Contributor
140 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A place for that cold beer and good conversation

Yucatan has the worst bar stools ever! Part of the joy of enjoying a Beer at a bar is being able to grab a stool and invite more people in your group :)

michigan
Level Contributor
355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A place for that cold beer and good conversation

If you fancy a Rumrunner, head to the Top O' the Mast.

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A place for that cold beer and good conversation

Hi Steve - A friend and I will also be at Ft Myers Beach the first week of Sept. Thanks for asking for a locals place and helping everyone discover a great place before the last night there!! Maybe we'll cross paths at the SOB or Outrigger some evening. We've discovered the sunsetride.com site and have made reservations for Monday, Aug. 31 to be taken on an exploration of dolphins, mantees and a shell garden. The people who manage/own this operation are people I'd like to spend more time with. Very genuine. Can't wait for the experience.

Cheers to you and maybe sharing a beer and good conversation while in Ft. Myers Beach. Know you're getting as excited as we are - Anticipation is part of the journey!!

Lindy - kokoscave

portsmouth
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A place for that cold beer and good conversation

Hi. Me and the mrs have been going to fort myers beach for the last 5 years. we are early 40s and we love it.SOB is good.tiki-bar ie the lighthouse hotel and others. our local is the SOB.you lucky people.Do check out the nature reserves on the beaches and if you like to have lunch and watch dolphins then its Matanzas(400yards from the SOB) have a great time

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach