We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

miami
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

Hi,

I apologize for posting on multiple boards. I wasn’t sure where the correct location to ask my question was. I am trying to find a location that would best fit our family needs. We are a couple in our 30’s with two twin daughters who are turning two in July. We live in the Ft Lauderdale area and are looking for a location that we can bring our family every summer for a weekend that our kids will be excited to go to. I recognize that the location might need to change based on the kids ages, but I thought it would be nice to have a vacation spot that we can frequent. For now a place that is toddler friendly is most important. We will be looking to stay at a hotel that has a closed bedroom so that our kids would have a place to sleep while we can watch tv/sit on balcony. Thank you in advance for your ideas.

David

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

Try checking out the Pink Shell on Ft Myers Beach, very kid friendly but a little pricey.

www.pinkshell.com

miami
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

Thanks. That place looks like it might be fun for the kids. Any good restaurant recommendations or specific activities for toddlers that you might be aware of?

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

There is a water park in Cape Coral which might be a fun day with the little ones.

www.sunsplashwaterpark.com

The Naples Zoo might be something to consider.

http://www.napleszoo.com/

We enjoy the Fish House behind Santini Plaza. They might enjoy the birds that stop by and looking for fish by the docks.

Have a great time!!!

Fort Myers, FL
Level Contributor
353 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

The Ft Myers Beach city pool has a toddler play pool with shallow water and play features especially for little ones. (My son loved it when he was younger.) There is also a playground next door at the school. There's also a playground at Lynn Hall Beach.

There are two mini golf places near-by. I know that Smugglers Cove has plastic toddler clubs for little ones.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
284 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

Check out the Hyatt Coconut Point in Bonita. No it is not on the beach but they have a boat that can take you there. The kiddy pool is great plus you can do the lazy river with the sister property. Close to shopping and lots of other things. My granddaughter was 2 when she came to visit and we stayed here. It worked out great. LOVED the place because of the walk in pool and river.

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

Sanibel is the best family friendly place in Florida. The Sundial resort is perfect for a family. We took our kids there from Homestead every summer for 20 years. Memories to last a lifetime for all 6 of us.

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

Marco Island would save an hour plus each way on the drive and that makes a big difference with the kids. I think you need to spend a weekend at each of the areas and find what suits you and yours (and your budget) the best.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

I say you have plenty of time to scout around for places to stay right now. Just pick one on your list and visit. Then next year stay at one of the other cities. Sometimes finding a place takes trial and error.

Naples is hard to stay right on the beach unless you've got the dough to put out for a place overlooking the beach. It's a very upscale area with lots of high rise condos and not many places I would consider 'family friendly', or family atmosphere. It's not unfriendly, but the other places on your list are probably better.

I think Sanibel or Ft. Myers Beach are probably the most family friendly. I like Ft. Myers Beach more than Sanibel just because you have more things you can do. It costs $6 every time you cross the bridge to get onto Sanibel, so you certainly don't want to leave very often.

Sanibel has several good family type restaurants, but in my opinion they have more restaurants that would be better suited to families with preteens on up. Not many are geared towards young kids i.e., kids menu. Island Cow definitely more kid friendly. The Italian place, Matzaluna, seems more kid friendly.

Good luck!

texas
Level Contributor
433 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

Pink Shell has some really nice rooms! The pool is def kid friendly!!! The Diamondhead is also a really nice place to stay. The water in front of there is amazing. The further south you go on the island the better the water. Santini Plaza has some kid friendly places to eat. It is southend of the island. Terra Nostra has a kids menu that is good also kids pizza and amazing desserts!! Most of the restaurants near Times Square are beach pubs and drinking places. Sanibel is nice too, but like the previous poster said, you have to pay $6 to go over the bridge each time you enter Sanibel. FMB is a great place for kids this time of year!

Enjoy!

10. Re: Sanibel/Marco/Naples/Ft Myers Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach