We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Gorda Airport, worth it?

chicago illinois
Level Contributor
95 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Gorda Airport, worth it?

We are traveling to Fort Myers Beach for the first time during spring break (late March 2012). I was wondering if I should consider flying into the airport in Punta Gorda and then driving to Fort Myers Beach. The air savings could be significant, but I am not sure about the drive time. Any thoughts?

Thanks, in advance.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Gorda Airport, worth it?

DirectAir?

Punta Gorda airport is about 30 miles from Ft Myers airport via I-75.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Gorda Airport, worth it?

No problems using the Punta Gorda airport (well, a little hectic getting our luggage, but no biggie). Easy drive down to Ft. Myers. If Direct Air, our family members have used it many times and will again at Christmas break. My only concern is...what do they do in case of mechanical problems? Not a large fleet of aircraft so could be delays if that happens. Still...worth taking that small chance for the savings.

Additional perk...if flying out of RFD, free parking and no O'Hare hassles. What a treat!

Edited: 29 August 2011, 11:21
chicago illinois
Level Contributor
95 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Gorda Airport, worth it?

Thanks so much!

4. Re: Punta Gorda Airport, worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach