We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

Hi,

We (me, DH and DD) visited FMB in August 2010 but cut our trip short when it rained non - stop! In our very brief stay we knew we would want to come back again and are now planning our next visit :-)

We will be flying into Tampa International from the UK and as we will be arriving late we don’t want to drive all the way to FMB straight off the plane, although we would be happy with a short drive. Where would be a good place to consider stopping on our first night in Florida before heading to FMB the next day?

Thanks,

Jude

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

I would personally just stay in Tampa area. I fly that flight all the time (just got home in fact) and it takes me 1.5 hours to drive to my house and that is all I would go for max.

Choose westshore area or a sports event nearby (hockey, football), st Pete beach would be good too.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

Thanks Amanx, that's helpful.

I think we will look for somewhere in St Pete's then head down to FMB - looks like about a 2 hour trip the next morning- much better than risking a long drive after a 9 hour flight!

Jude

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

You could stop even nearer ... there are about 4 or 5 hotels in the Rocky Point area near Tampa airport but on Tampa Bay. Holiday Inn Express, Double Tree, Chase Suites, and a brand new Westin. And you could walk to the Bahama Breeze restaurant which overlooks Tampa Bay. There are other restaurants nearby - Rusty Pelican comes to mind.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

You might also consider just staying at a hotel that has a free airport shuttle - take it to your hotel that night and back in the am. Or send one person back on the shuttle in the am to get the rental car and then bring the car to the hotel to pack. Saves a day of car rental and you don't have to worry about navigating after a long flight.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
739 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

You might want to also consider staying on one of the "barrier" islands near the St. Pete area (St. Pete Beach, Treasure Island, etc.), or if you want to be a little bit closer to FMB, you can stay overnight in Bradenton or Sarasota - both lovely cities.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

Very very true 16Traveler16. And it sounds as if the OP will be arriving when it is dark. Makes sense to get the hotel shutte bus as you say.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

we've done exactly the same as yourselves 3 times now. flew in to tampa and got into the airport at around 11pm and stayed each time at the Marriott which is the only hotel actually in the airport. you just jump in the lift with your luggage from the carousel and go up i think to the top floor and walk thro the shops and restaurants and the Marriott reception is there. i would def recommend because after you've been travelling all day from the UK you really look forward to the high class bedroom that the Marriott has!

i always then pick my car up in the morning at the airport and then really enjoy the 3 hour drive down to paradise that is FMB!!

we go for xmas & new year in December but are travelling via Miami this year so itl be a night at Miami airport when we get there from the UK

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

The diredt BA flight gets in just before 5 pm so you can get away with a hsort drive, but after a 9 hour flight and with a 5 hour jetlag you don't really need to. Not point in drivinghalf way and getting stressed as 5 pm is 10 pm to your boudy and it is 6pm/11pm before you even leave the ap.

getting as late as 9pm to 11pm from the uk is 2 am to 4 am to your bodyclock so don't move from the AP except by taxi/shuttle.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

Thanks for all your suggestions- as always this forum is so helpful!

We flew into Miami last year and stayed local to the airport which was absolutely the best thing. We know that about a 30-40 minute drive on the first night is our max, so we have narrowed it down to Homewood Suites at Tampa airport, Hampton Inn Rocky Point or Doubletree at North Redington beach. Just need to make a decision- we each have a favourite so we are negotiating!

Jude

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay between Tampa Airport and FMB?

Marriott within the airport!!

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach