We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Miami

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnetonka...
Level Contributor
190 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
driving from Miami

Flying direct to RSW is too expensive this year. What is the best route to take from the airport in Miami to FMB? Google maps suggests hwy 75 or hwy 90. How much will we need to cover tolls?

Any great lunch spot on either route? Or any point of interest we should check out?

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Miami

I personally prefer exiting the Miami Airport on to Dolphin Expressway west - 836 then go south on the Florida Turnpike about half a mile (first exit) on to US 41 west into Naples

41 is a more scenic route if you are travelling through the Everglades during the day.

Once you get to Naples area you can access Interstate 75 (to avoid the city traffic from Naples to Ft Myers) by taking Collier Blvd / County Road 951 to Interstate 75 north

Orland, In
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Miami

I don't know about the best route, but I have a comment about the tolls. I checked with our rental car company, Alamo, and they have a policy that makes it mandatory that they take any tolls out of the credit card they have on file if you go through the Sun Pass lanes. In my opinion, it's a good thing because then you don't have to mess with stopping to pay. There was a small daily fee if you use the Sun Pass lanes, but the max it could be per rental period was very small, I think around $5.00 or so. It looked like many of the rental companies in Florida have similar policies. Hope that helps, and isn't too confusing!!

Here is a link to the rental car page of the Sun Pass website:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Edited: 19 January 2012, 22:17
Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Miami

I am not exactely sure how to get to I75 from the Miami airport but I am sure the car rental agency can tell you. I75 (alligator alley)goes right across the state, no stops, no traffic lights it is a straight run. It should take about 2 and half hours. take exit 116 (bonita beach rd) make a left off the exit and just keep going until you reach FMB. You will go across 41, just keep going straight.

Maybe this will help too

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34231-i374-k49967…

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,379 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from Miami

Be sure to read the website that Nfaith mentions and choose your rental car company very carefully. The daily fee varies widely.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
316 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from Miami

If you want to stop and smell the roses and don't mind following others doing the same, take 41.

If you want to get here quick, take 75.

You won't have to worry about toll with the car companies if you stop and pay. On 75, there is one toll stop only. Then over here, there's only toll to Sanibel and to Cape Coral

Some rental companies like Enterprise charge $2 processing fee (on the way to Key West it's all toll by plate so you have no choice) and others can charge up to $20 or more which is automated-credit-card-highway-robbery.

Orland, In
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from Miami

I agree to check carefully before booking with the car company! I was relieved to find that Alamo is super reasonable with their rate per day. It'll be nice to just cruise through and not have to mess with paying at the time, but I would hate it if it were super expensive like that!

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
316 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from Miami

I didn't know some had a per-day rate. Sounds like the damage waiver insurance profit center if you ask me. Enterprise was per-occurance if you used the toll-by-plate service. If you paid the toll by stopping, of course that wasn't applicable.

Orland, In
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from Miami

Ya, from how I understand it you will only incur the charge if you go through the Sun Pass lanes, and it will only be charged up to a certain amount for the total rental period. The max you can be charged with Alamo is $6.00 per rental period, plus the actual tolls of course. Not too bad of a deal I guess :D I love the convenience of not having to carry cash!

9. Re: driving from Miami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach