We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timers with a few questions

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1st timers with a few questions

I took advantage of some low airfares & my wife & I will arrive 04/17 for 7 nights. We are a little active (early 60's) & I was wondering if I needed to rent a car? We are leaning on staying at the Cornerstone Condos or maybe Estero Point. There are a lot of very nice choices.We have been to Anna Maria a couple of times & Clearwater Beach twice (used a limo service from Tampa). Can anyone recommend a limo service? We do prefer to be right on the beach, so, if anyone has a suggestion it would be appreciated. Thank you, in advance,..............dan

Ft. Myers Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
271 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timers with a few questions

I've stayed at Pointe Estero before and loved it. Amazing views, and really nice rooms. Great location, and staff. As far as a car rental, if you would like to explore off the island then definitely rent a car, if you plan on staying on the island the whole time then you can get around using our taxis and trolleys. Personally, I would rent a car so you have the option and convenience to go explore when and where you want to.

Sorry, I am no help with a limo option so hopefully someone else has that experience.

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timers with a few questions

Thank you for your prompt reply; we decided to stay at Cornerstone Condos, but, the transportation issue is still undecided..............dan

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timers with a few questions

Re transportation - here is link for taxi rates from airport

http://www.flylcpa.com/taxirates/

for limo service - I have not personally used them but find them recommended often in this forum -

http://www.classictaxiservice.com/

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timers with a few questions

Patti b22...........Thanks for your suggestions.I have checked the archives and something called sensible car rentals was given some so so reviews; anyone use them lately? I asked for a quote yesterday, but, have not recieved a reply yet. I do believe we are going to rent a car since we are not staying at a hotel that would normally charge for parking FMB looks like a great area to visit, wish we were leaving tomorrow............

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timers with a few questions

We have always used National car rental, if you go to their site join the Emerald Club for a discount. When you arrive at the airport you can pick out any car you like.

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timers with a few questions

I think you will be happy with your decision to rent a car. You will be able to explore a little, go to Lovers Key maybe a day trip to Sanibel/Captiva, or even different restaurants on or off island.

The trip to the grocery store will be sooo much easier too. It will be nice to have the choice.

Enjoy!

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timers with a few questions

The topic of Sensible Car Rental has been discussed on this forum before....please read. Here is the site, I just typed in sensible care rental in the search box in case this does not work.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=374&geo=34231&scope=2&q=sensible+car+rental&returnTo=__2F__&sub-search.x=13&sub-search.y=9

Edited: 26 January 2012, 23:20
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st timers with a few questions

All good ideas and suggestions and I believe I'll avoid sensible car rentals. I have already gotten offers from Hotwire for around $250 a week for mid-size plus I have until April to book. My experience has been to wait for a deal and then jump on it. I did that for airfare & will do the same for car rental. Thank you for the suggestions; I'm sure we'll make it over to Sanibel/Captiva as well as other sights. I'm hoping to get some fishing as well; any suggestions for that?

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st timers with a few questions

If you want to fish off the shore, lovers key by the bridge is a good spot. Or you can go on the Getaway party boat out of FMB. There are many charters also. Fishtale Marina has pontoon boat rentals if you want to get out on the back bay, it is beautiful and you will see many dolphins. I really look forward to doing that every time we come to FMB.

You will love Sanibel/Captiva....There is a $6 toll for the bridge and a fee of $2 per hr for the public beaches on Sanibel. Worth it !!

You are gonna love this area and have a great time!!! hope you get a great deal for a car rental. Smart to wait, prices go down after Easter.

Here is a map of the public beaches for Sanibel

sanibeltrails.com/sanibel-beach-access.aspx

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st timers with a few questions

Thank you for the map, I'm sure it will be helpful; my brother, who is out of town right now, has vacationed on Sanibel a lot & I'll have lots of questions for him. I'm going to try to get on a "make up" charter, if possible. If not, head boats will have to do. I'm not going to take a rod case or tackle with me as baggae fees are prohibitive and I want to spend some quality time with my wife. I tenatively booked (no credit card) on Hotwire for $210 total for a midsize, but, will cancel for a better deal. Thanks again.....................dan

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach