We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March Roll Call

Hoosick Falls, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Topic
March Roll Call

Visiting FMB for the first time this March. 8 weeks countdown begins today! Who else will be there? Maybe we can countdown together :)

Fort Myers
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: March Roll Call

I will NOT be down there on the beach. March is too busy for me. Spring Breakers are here and it's too rowdy, too many people, and the traffic is horrific. I'll wait until after Easter to enjoy the beach again. Have fun during your visit.

Hoosick Falls, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: March Roll Call

Samantha, are you trying to scare me? Surely it can't be that bad :(

Minnetonka...
Level Contributor
193 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March Roll Call

If I lived in FL and had the luxury of chosing when I would go, I would probably also avoid spring break. Yes, March is the busiest time of the year but it's also the perfect time to go down since we live in Minnesota

Don't be scared. There are many locations on the beach which are not too crowded, especially if you are mid-island on down. This is our 4th trip to FMB and we love it! .

Traffic, on the other hand, can be horrible. But there's some tricks around that, too.

We are counting down, too. Leaving 8 weeks from today! Mcgker, where are you staying?

Edited: 01 February 2012, 19:06
Fort Myers
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: March Roll Call

Mcgker...don't be scared! ha-ha. Like Terr said, (and she is absolutely right), since I can go to the beach any day of the week, I am spoiled so my favorite times are May and September since the beaches are pretty much empty.

Remember, you will already be on the island so you won't have to worry about crossing over the bridge and sitting in traffic. I live 5 miles from the beach and off season, it takes me 8-10 minutes to drive down to the beach. During the busy season, it takes me anywhere between 45min-1 hour to get down there and then even longer to find a parking spot. (unless I use my sources and park for free...shhhhh!)

You will have fun! You are on vacation so you will enjoy the crowds and ambiance while you are down here. It will be a party-like atmosphere for you. My only recommendation is to stay away from Lani Kai because that is Spring Break Central and there will be lots of drunk teenagers doing stupid things there. I don't like that hotel anyways but it's even worse during that time of the year.

Hoosick Falls, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: March Roll Call

Terri, thanks for the reassurance. By the time March arrives I am about to lose my mind up here on the frozen tundra, lol! I picked that date because I really want to be WARM and have a better chance of hitting the 80's. Not planning to leave the island much so I am not too worried about traffic.

For the last 4 years we have gone to Key West, I really need to kick that habit!

We are staying at the Lighthouse in FMB. You?

Fort Myers
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: March Roll Call

You're welcome! The 80's will definitely feel awesome as that warm breeze hits your face while sipping on a beverage and watching the beautiful sunset! However....nothing wrong with The Florida Keys!!! I personally like Marathon over Key West....such a Caribbean feel!

Have a fun trip down next month!

Minnetonka...
Level Contributor
193 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March Roll Call

It will be warm. I can hardly wait! We were down last year at the same time frame (last week March-first week April) and it was actually very warm. (90s some days!)

We are staying in a home we rent every year and LOVE IT!! It's mid-island which is great for us. 118 Andre Mar. Can't say enough great things about it or the owners.

We are planning to take the express boat trip to the Keys so I may pick your brain. Everyone says to stay over night but it's not in the budget this year so we're just going for the day. I understand wanting to try another location, even when you love one place. I've been to Cozumel many, many times and am now trying to alternate that with FMB, another location I love!

Mpls, MN
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: March Roll Call

Looking forward to escaping the MN winter even though it has not been that bad. Will be in FMB from March 8 - 17th with hubby and 2 daughters. Can anyone advise on must eat restaurants and things to do.

Hoosick Falls, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: March Roll Call

Terri, I haven't posted much but would be happy to give you KW tips. I REALLY had to talk myself out of going on the ferry down there. I even already had reservations for our hotel! I don't think it would be worth the ferry for a day trip, you would be on the boat longer than you will be in Key West! If you do go down, pick a day when the crusie ships are not in the harbor. Just go to the KW forum and do a search on how to find out.

Every Friday at 5pm the tripadvisor regulars get together for drinks at a meeting place in Key West. Wouldn't that be fun to do in FMB? Where would be a fun place?

Laginator: I think I will start a new post!

pella
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: March Roll Call

We have traveled to Ft. Myers several times during spring break and have learned many lessons to make things easier. We stay at the southern end of the island. We use the interestate around to Bonita springs if we leave the area to avoid coming through the times square. We leave early to go over to Sanibel and Captiva, but for going down to Lover's Key, it's pretty easy. We grab as many of our groeries as possible on arrival and when we do go out we head towards Bonita Springs, found lots of great places there and easy to get in and out of. Have great trip, we will be there, same time, at the Outrigger.

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach