We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange question - bug bites?

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
483 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Strange question - bug bites?

Just got back from a fabulous trip last night! Thanks everyone for all the advice!

Strange question. My husband and son both have bites all over - look a little like mosquito or gnat bites. My husband originally thought bed bugs (I really don't think so). He got them about half way thru the trip. Son got them last day. Went to the wildlife preserve and the noseeum's were AWFUL there but they attacked me too and I dont have bites and his started before we went there. My sons started after the wildlife preserve and actually are worse 24 hours after being back home. They are mostly on his face, neck, arms and legs and itch horribly.

Any ideas what this might be? Sand fleas? Something else in the ocean?

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strange question - bug bites?

mosquitoes, ours are small, or no see ums,but we feels them.

ottawa
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Strange question - bug bites?

What makes you think they aren't noseeums ?

Were you at the reserve around dusk ??

If so, yes indeed .. they are likely noseeum bites !! They are known to itch.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
483 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strange question - bug bites?

I don't know that they are not noseeums - I just wasn't sure since my husband and son reacted at different times. We were at the reserve in the morning around 8am on Sunday. The first time we got out of the car they were literally attacking us including in our hair and everywhere. I know I was attacked by them also but after we left had no bites even though they drove me nuts while there.

Also - my husband had some bites a day or two before we went to the reserve which is what made me wonder if it might have been something else.

The other funny thing is we were in Grand Cayman at the end of December and my husband (and he was the only one) got the same or similar bites there. Another reason I wondered if maybe it was a reaction to something in the ocean or something like that. I'm guessing they have noseeum's there also.

Maybe the boys just have a more severe reaction to noseeum's then I do?

What I DON'T think they were is bed bugs. My husband thought they were after Grand Cayman and then froze our suitcases after in the garage before bringing our clothes in to wash because he was so paranoid! Then last week in Florida he thought we had them again but I think I successfully convinced him it was not. It would be an awful strange coincidence for that to happen two vacations in a row within 3 months of each other!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strange question - bug bites?

If you Google bed bug bites and look at the images, you'll probably be able to rule them out. Also, assuming you share a bed with your husband, you would almost certainly have at least one bite if that was the cause. Not everyone reacts to noseeums, so it's entirely possible you wouldn't have bite marks.

texas
Level Contributor
433 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strange question - bug bites?

No see ums llllooovvee me!!!! They gnaw on my husband too! I have itchy red irritating painful bumps for about a week and he never has a bump! They affect people differently. Avon makes a product called skin so soft bug repellent and it works wonders! I love living in Florida, but I HAVE to have my bug spray!

6. Re: Strange question - bug bites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:17