We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

Once you get here you will find FMB is NOT pet friendly.

Why do some restaurants allow outdoor doggie dining while others refuse citing board of health regulations?

A terribly rude hostess at the Cottage screamed at two potential clients who were told dogs were welcome that dogs are not welcome and to leave immediately. An over reaction at best when a courteous request to leave would have worked much better and preempted this negative review.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
320 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

I don't know where this comment came from other than maybe a personal bad experience as I see you have another post about it today also.

I've never had any problems with our pets anywhere. We always ask before assuming a place is pet friendly and respect their decision. It is their right to not allow pets as it is their business.

I support the ones which are, and rarely go to the ones which aren't.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,084 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

One rude hostess/restaurant, and a whole city is slagged off?

Why not name and shame the restaurant instead? who told them pets were welcome?

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

Over all I consider FMB to be very pet friendly. I have seen many on the beach and how about dog beach. I will say that dogs have to be on a leash while on the beach. Time Sq. has several out door restaurants that are dog friendly. Dog beach/park, they can run free.

Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
680 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

I think FMB is very pet friendly. Sorry you had one bad experience, but please don't lump the entire town into that category because of it. I know of many pet-friendly accommodations, dogs are allowed on the beach (with a leash) or on Dog Beach off leash. Many of the restaurants allow dogs, just check first. As said already above, it's your choice to frequent the businesses which welcome pets, and to avoid those which do not.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

Agreed on all 4 posts

texas
Level Contributor
433 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

Another agreed on all posts!!!!!! Very pet friendly!!!!! Lots of restaurants are pet friendly!! I take my pet to Terra Nostra (*when they are sitting people outside) and they even bring water to him! Take it easy!

Fort Myers Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

I have to agree with the 6 replies above -- Ft. Myers Beach is VERY pet friendly! It's unfortunate you had a bad experience, but our repeated experience has been quite the opposite. There are many pet friendly accommodations and restaurants at FMB. For information on where to go and things to do in Fort Myers Beach check out http://visitfortmyersbeach.wordpress.com

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

I agree with all who contributed here it could not be more pet friendly.

Many hotels allow dogs and they have a beach specifically for them.

As far a restaurants as long as they have outside seating and the pet is basically not going nuts...........no problem.

Last time we were at NNellies the place was packed and we sat outside with our dog..........no problem the server even gave her some water and a snack.

S.C

Edited: 30 August 2012, 16:33
Ft.Myers
Level Contributor
1 post
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

Please give some examples of pet friendly restaurants because we would like to bring our small dog to the beach to eat with us and are having a hard time finding a place. Please save us from running around.

texas
Level Contributor
433 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fort Myers Beach is NOT pet friendly

You can sit outside at Terra Nostra on the patio.

Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach