We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Franklin, PA
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

We are going to be spending 10 days in Ft Myers Beach mid-February. Last year we shopped at the grocer on the Island, I believe it is an Albertsons. I was not happy as it was very chaotic and I didn't feel it had the best produce. It also seemed very overpriced. I would love some suggestions for where to shop with a good selection of organic. Also, is there a Farmer's Market at the Times Square area? I seemed to remember reading about it last year, but we never found it. Thanks!

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
320 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

Farmers market under the bridge by Times Square. I believe Friday mornings but not 100% sure on that.

There is no albertsons. There is a topps and a publix. Publix would have the better selection and overall better quality in my opinion.

Franklin, PA
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

It was Publix.....not impressed. As I said, it was way too chaotic. Looked like they tried to get a little bit of everything in and it didn't seem to be in any particular order. I think it is OK in a pinch, but I would prefer to do the first major shopping somewhere else. I read on a much earlier post (2008) someone recommended Sweetbay. I appreciate your thoughts.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
320 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

Those are your only 2 choices on island. Off island you have many more if you're prepared to drive 30 min each way. Sweet bay, fresh market, whole foods, trader joes, etc

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

It would probably be a good idea to do your major grocery shopping on your way to the island on the mainland....use publix on the island for extra's....that is a small publix on the beach and can get busy in season.

long island
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

Look here,

http://sandybutler.com/

Publix Super Market at San Carlos

Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
680 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

I like Sweetbay for produce over Publix. I feel they have a much better selection, more variety and better quality. Farmers' Market on island under the bridge on Friday mornings, off island on Fridays also at Lakes Park.

Sweetbay or Publix or Target for general groceries on your way in. Sweetbay is on Gladiolus at Winkler, Publix at San Carlos and Summerlin, Target on San Carlos at Kelly Road. These should be fairly easy to pinpoint on a map. Biggar Farms has a pick your own tomato stand with other local produce on Gladiolus between Winkler and Bass Roads.

You'll also pass Sandy Butler, as mentioned above. This is a very high-end grocer, good for specialty items, cheeses, very good meats, etc. Sandy Butler is not where you would do your general shopping unless your pockets are pretty deep and your tastes very, umm, refined.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

Pubix is about the only supermarket on the island. That particular one is very small. That is why things may seem chaotic, There are larger ones on the mainland.

I don't know so much about the Ft Myers mainland, but up here, Sweetbay is very expensive. Publix is usually one of the better if not the best in Florida.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, they were still advertising the Farmer's Market under the bridge on Friday. There is also a breakfast restaurant with a fruit stand outside of it mid island. I have stopped there during the winter and bought some pretty good tomatoes, although they weren't cheap either. There is also a lady in the Santini Plaza parking lot that has a produce stand.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

One other idea: It isn't oraganic, but they don't use pesticide. If you are willing to drive about 1/2 hour from the airport or an hour from the beach to stock up, there is a couple that runs a u pick um farm and produce store up on Highway 31.

To get there you would need to take Highway 80 east from I-75. turn left at the Arcadia sign. Go north on Highway 31 past the civic center and over the bridge. The farm will be on the right not too far up the road.

Franklin, PA
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

Great info....thanks!

edinburgh scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best grocery for selection and price in Ft. Myers

Did i see a 7/11 on google street veiw, and, is this a grocery store?

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach