We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Island, View obstructed ?

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lee's Summit...
2 posts
Save Topic
South Island, View obstructed ?

Looking at some condos on the south end of the island and noticed there is some obstruction of view? I really want to stay at a place where the waves come all the way to the shore... Any thoughts on south or Mid portion of what would be good. I want to hear the ocean waves in the evening to put me to sleep :)

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Island, View obstructed ?

No waves at Ft Myers, just little ripples at the shoreline.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
320 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Island, View obstructed ?

What view obstruction are you meaning? Most condos have very nice views here but of course it all depends on which one you rent.

There won't be any real waves unless there is weather and even the you probably won't hear the water in your condo.

However the waves do come all the way to the shore. I haven't yet found a place that waves don't reach the shore so I don't think we're special in any way on that.....

Lee's Summit...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: South Island, View obstructed ?

I should re-phase. Not obstructed, but there is a piece of land or an small strip of land that is jutting out across the ocean.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Island, View obstructed ?

Are you referring to what is called the double beach? I stayed at the condo next to the Holiday Inn and we were faced with the double beach and I hated it. On the southern end the beach is very wide and some people love it. I have stayed mid-island Smugglers Cove on the 3re. fl and I could hear the waves at night, I would suggest going to google earth and look at the out line of the beach. The higher the floor the less you will hear the tide roll in at night.

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Island, View obstructed ?

There is a map on the right of this site, if you take it to the south you will see how the area called double beach, and how the coast is shaped. Not all hotels/condos at the southend are on double beach, that said some like it as a bird sanctuary and for the wildlife that visit there, but it is not for everyone. Also the beach is very wide on the southend and even if you were not on double beach I doubt you would hear anything, as the beach is very far from the condos at that end of the island. I stayed at both carlos pointe and the Gullwing and they both have a long walk to the beach.

Daisy is right you might enjoy mid or north island better.

6. Re: South Island, View obstructed ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach