We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

We are going to Ft Myers in Mar, 2014 and would love to rent place on the beach for 2 or weeks. Any suggestions for best hotel on the beach? If anyone has a favorite I would love to hear about it. Or, if you ideas which one NOT to stay at. We have a place booked for Jan and Feb in Bradenton, but thought we would stay in Ft Myers for a few weeks as well.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

Stay away from the Lani Kai, and you should be fine. What kind of atmosphere?

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

FMB has 3 areas on Estero Blvd. The north end is near Time Square, the mid-area is quiet and the southern end has the widest beach. If you know how to use google earth you can see for yourself, just google Estero Blvd. All areas are nice, I like mid-island and we drive to TS or Santini Plaza which is on the south-end. The north end is very nice too because you can walk to TS & pier and restaurants. It's up to you. Are you interested in a condo rental or hotel. There are so many to choose from, good luck.

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

Well, we are both in our sixities, and even though I love kids, I would like to avoid staying at a resort or hotel that is family friendly. LOL! We like to go out and we do enjoy fun places to go for cocktails, etc. in the evening. It has been so many years that I have vacationed in Florida not really sure where to start. Thanks for the advice, I will steer clear of the Lani Kai.

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

I will use Google earth, thanks for the suggestion. When you say mid-island, do you mean away from the beach, or in the middle of the beach area. As far as condo or hotel, I think probably hotel, since we are only going to stay for probably 2 weeks, maybe 3. We are staying in Bradenton for Jan and Feb as I have a some siblings that have places their and then want to go to Ft Myers as we have several friends in that area. Is Times Square and shopping complex?

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

Check out the gullwing southend of the island ....very quiet also walkable to stores and restaurants....March will be high season so prices will be high and traffic will be heavier then normal. I am in your age range and really prefer the southend to stay and visit time square where you will find shops, restaurants and the pier and many tourists.

www.sunstream.com

also click on vacation rentals top of this site.

Ohio
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

We've stayed at The Neptune Inn a few times and will again the next time we go to FMB. It's South of Times Square but still within walking distance of many restaurants and bars. The Neptune Inn isn't fancy but it is clean and comfortable and it has a nice pool and beach area.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

It sounds like you want the south end, The area around the Ponte Estero, Gullwing, Holiday Inn, Gulfview Manor is nice. The beach is very wide, and you can walk to the Santini Plaza. If you want to raise hell, you can take the trolley to the north side of the island.

The Lani Kai hotel is nasty on the north side, but the bar on top of the hotel has some beautiful sunsets.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 12:40
Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

We love to walk the beach in the morning, but we like to have fun out and about. Love children, but we are in our sixties so would like to avoid the ultimate family hotels and find one a little more low key. Not sure which end we prefer since this is our first time staying in that area.

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

Thanks for suggestion, I will check it out. Sounds like what we are looking for. I figure we were hitting at the wrong time, but we are staying in Bradenton in Jan and Feb and then decided to go to Ft Myers and visit some of our Ohio friends that have places their.

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Ft Myers Beach, any suggestions where to stay?

Thanks for great advice, I appreciate it. Sounds like the south end is what we want. I am retiring end of year, so this is our first real vacation in quite a few years so I wanted to at least get some advice on places to avoid and this forum is certainly helpful. Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach