We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

Our family is traveling in June to FMB and will rent a condo for a week. Our 16 yr. old will be with us. I have a few questions:

1. Stay on the North end or Mid Island?

2. Any specific condo recommendations?

3. Waterfront Restaurants not to be missed. Love live music!

4. Things not to miss in the 7 days? (ie. Times Square area,Sanibel, Naples Zoo, etc.)

5. What outlet or shopping area is nice?

Thanks so much for your help!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

Caper Beach Club.

Check out www.islandsandpaper.com

Live music all around Time Square. Deb & The Dynamics at Wyndham Garden south end, Fridays 6-9 and Mary Winner is awesome. Who's playing Where at sand paper/entertainment.

Sanibel $6.00 toll. Lighthouse to the left over causeway (bridge) Periwinkle Trailer Park to the right and they will let you park, walk in and view the exotic Birds, etc. Feed the Ducks, Toucan. Monkeys. Lazy Flamingo across the road is nice. If you spend the day, shelling is awesome and I love Bubble Room on Captiva. Got to do Ding Darling again, it is awesome. Miromar Outlat.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 03:53
Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

"outlet" We also have a smaller one just before the Sanibel Causeway called Tanger Outlet.

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

Nervous Nellies is our favorite restaurant. others are the Beached Whale, Junkanoo, Pierside grill. Oh, and the Chicago hot dog stand. The far north end is quiet, Times square is just south and very busy and interesting. The farther south you go , the less busy it is. The main beach is by Times Square and is usually very busy. It is good for watching dolphins and people watching. . they seem to hang around the pier. the dolphins, not the people.

Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

Thanks for the great suggestions so far! We want to go to a more touristy area of the beach for our first time. We have vacationed in Clearwater Beach area mostly in Indian Shores. Indian Shores is just so quiet and with a teen he thinks it is kind of boring now. :( Anyway, is the Times Square area fun? I see there are restaurants around the Harbor House at the Inn (bayside) that look fun too. Nervous Nellies as someone mentioned is definitely on our list. I looked at a cottage for rent just north of the pier. Is it too quiet over there or can we see beach activity (boating, jet skiing, lounging) in that area. We don't want to be around the Lani Kai hotel. That area looks a bit dumpy. I may be wrong and I don't want to offend anyone.

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

if you rent a house north of the pier there is a good chance it will be on the bay side of the island which does not overlook the gulf and does not have a lot of activity. we saw a house for rent on that side for a reasonable price with a pool but it was a stilt house that required lots of up and down the stairs. Time square is great. there is always something going on there with lots of shops and restaurants. there are several motels across the street from that area, more towards the public parking area.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
609 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

Times Square is a pretty small area and you can see the whole thing in about an hour. If you want to buy cheap trinkets and eat at one of the restaurants there, then walk the pier then sit and people watch while you eat ice cream, then it will take a little longer. You are right about Lani Kai. Stay away from there! You will like Nervous Nellies. You will see parasailing and jet ski rentals from the beach. Enjoy the side trip to Sanibel and Captiva and take a boat ride to an island to get close up with dolphins.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

Just returned and stayed at Riptide condos right on Estero. Nice little places...30 second walk across the street to the beach, and they are very affordable.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

I don't know that I would call the area around the Lani Kai dumpy. I most certainly could call the Lani Kai itself a real dump.

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

i wold agree. the beach is nice and you can have drinks served outside. Just don't touch anything inside

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Fort Meyers Beach - Questions

Hell, I didn't even want a glass inside. I drank bottled beer. LOL

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach