We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Sanibel or Captiva?

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
S W
Southern Oregon
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip to Sanibel or Captiva?

Is it worth it for just a day? What is there to do for a day?

Thanks

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Sanibel or Captiva?

Yes. It is. Just to say you were there! $6 toll and to the left after causeway is the Lighthouse. Captiva is to the right. It is a nice drive and there are many restaurants and shops. Ding Darling, Shell Museum and Bubble Room are a few of my favs.

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Sanibel or Captiva?

Yes it is worth a day trip, the view from the causeway is beautiful and there are public beaches. There is a fee to park $2 per hr. Here is a site for public beach info and map.

sanibeltrails.com/sanibel-beach-access.aspx

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
529 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Sanibel or Captiva?

Both Sanibel and Captiva are extremely beautiful and you should definitely go visit if you have the time. Stop by the chamber of commerce once you get on Sanibel and ask them about the best places to spend your time.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Sanibel or Captiva?

Yes, it is worth it.

LaBelle, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Sanibel or Captiva?

If you like nature and the beauty of it then definitely take the drive and visit the islands for sure. I like both but always go to my left into Sanibel and we park near the lighthouse so when I'm in the water facing the beach the lighthouse is to my front right and it's very breath taking all of it is. If you love the clear waters, beautiful sands and collecting shells most definitely go. Sometimes we stop in and get ice creams for a treat and there's lot's of little stores to visit if you wanna shop. Bring a camera to snap photos as well. There's always lot's of sand dollars in the water there to look at and nice shells to collect. Don't take out any sand dollars though. It's very pretty at the Causeway! I love to take pictures from the tops of the bridges of the other bridges and the nature. This Island is the most beautiful beach and Islands I've seen in my lifetime! Be prepared to pay a $6 toll and parking if you park in the parking areas is $2 per hour and don't stick a $5 bill in and think you'll get change make sure it's exact or you'll have a parking ticket for five bucks of time.

6. Re: Day trip to Sanibel or Captiva?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach