We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Myers or Marco island

Which Fort Myers Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Myers or Marco island

I am researching a summer break next year for 2 adults and 2 teens (18 and 16) and am unsure whether to book a gulf self catering property north end of fort Myers or similar on marco island. Don't know either area so would love some input and ideas please. Am happy for it to be mainly relaxing but with some entertainment value too for us all.

Thanks

Minnetonka...
Level Contributor
193 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Myers or Marco island

More for teens to.do on FMB. Marco Island is nice but teens love Times Square on FMB. (I have 4 teenagers)

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Myers or Marco island

I agree with poster above...Marco is nice...but FMB would probably much greater fit your needs.

Surrey
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Myers or Marco island

Great thanks

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Myers or Marco island

Well, I have three teens and they much prefer Marco. What exactly are they looking to do?? The following is available on Marco: Jet skiing, paddle boarding, parasailing, fishing, kayaking, shelling, bike riding, charter fishing, shelling, sailing, etc. My kids run out of time on the island before they run out of things to do. For the parents, Marco is a great place to relax, unwind and enjoy the sunsets. Perfect place for all and accommodations and restaurants at all price points.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Myers or Marco island

First, you mention Fort Myers, but I'm assuming you are talking about Fort Myers Beach, a separate community that is about 15 miles from downtown Fort Myers. Some visitors aren't aware of that and it can cause confusion.

Estero Island (Fort Myers Beach) offers a 7 mile long barrier island with a beach that runs the entire length. On the beachfront, you'll find a fishing pier, jet-ski, parasailing, chair and umbrella rentals, beachfront parks and outstanding people watching. On FMB, visitors also will find boat rentals, kayak and paddle board rentals, kayak tours, bicycle and scooter rentals, Segway tours, dolphin and sunset cruises, back bay and off shore fishing charters, shelling cruises, jet boat rides, flyboard rides (have the kids google flyboard, fort myers beach) plus one of the most popular state parks, Lovers Key State Park, just south of the island where visitors will find another great beach, bike, kayak and stand up paddle board rentals, bike trails, fishing, geo-caching and more.

Every Friday and Saturday night there is a Sunset Celebration with a band in Time Square that draws big crowds. The live music scene on FMB is very active, with 15-20 venues offering live music without cover charge every night.

If your accommodations are on the north end with an address of 2000 Estero or lower, you are within walking distance of the downtown area, where the pier, Time Square and Old San Carlos Blvd are and that's where you'll find many restaurants, pubs, ice cream, retail and gift shops. Mid-island and south are quieter, but also have a smattering of restaurants and shops. A trolley runs the length of the island and in summer, traffic is rarely an issue, so it's a 10 min. ride/drive from one end to the other usually.

Enjoy your vacation, wherever you choose to go!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
607 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Myers or Marco island

Times Square

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
607 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort Myers or Marco island

We love Marco Island....so beautiful and just as many things to do but the water quality is much nicer.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort Myers or Marco island

awesome review sunny s. Thanks for sharing.:)

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fort Myers or Marco island

Marco doesn't have a "board walk" atmosphere ... I don't know if Ft Myers has such a place.

Marco is known for relaxation, calm, resort living, nature, beach, low density, water sports ... it is not a college spring break town .. thankfully.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
632 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fort Myers or Marco island

Hi Joanna,

Don't know if you've been to Florida before - just wondered if you were going to do it as a two-centre with Orlando or not. Both of the islands have their merit. We love FMB and have been coming for years but we visit later in the year when the rainy season is over and we don't have teenagers to entertain. When I say rainy season It's not like we get in the U.K. it's usually a downpour in the late afternoon and then it clears up.

Depends where you're flying into also and what you want to do. There are numerous beautiful beaches in Florida.

Forgive me if the assumption that you're flying from the U.K. is incorrect.

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach