We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diamond Head or Pink Shell

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Diamond Head or Pink Shell

Our yearly vacation in Florida this year will be in Ft Myers Beach. We have narrowed it down to The Pink shell or Diamond Head. Any thoughts on which is better?

We like a place that offers beach front, soft sand, wave runner rentals, para-sailing and need a suite as opposed to a room.

All comments welcomed.

Thanks

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diamond Head or Pink Shell

Both are what you are looking for. Pink Shell is at the end of the Island whereas Diamondhead is near Lani Kai, Pirate Petes Video, English Pub and shops.

louisville
Level Contributor
237 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diamond Head or Pink Shell

Even though I think the Pink Shell has gotten way out of line as far as pricing goes-they do have a very nice facility-wave runners and like rentals are right in front of the hotel-in fact I think you can charge them to your hotel bill. They also have 3 pools vs. 1 at DiamondHead and they have tennis courts and a small fishing pier on the back bay. The Beach Villas are a little less expensive than the White Sands and I think they are just a little bigger but they do show a little age. However, in the Beach Villas you have covered parking which is a big plus when it's 90+ degrees. I'm pretty particular and I thought the Beach Villas were fine. The prices have tripled since we first stayed there in 2002 and now they have added a resort fee. With mixed feelings, we're staying at the Gullwing this year which is managed by the same folks as DiamondHead. We can get a 3 Bedroom condo at Gullwing which will work bettter for us this year. Where ever you stay-enjoy!

Franklin...
Level Contributor
340 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diamond Head or Pink Shell

i too am trying to make this decision

seems like the pink shell's reviews are going way downhill.

i don't mind paying a little more but i don't want to stay at a construction site

is construction still happening?

thanks

Boston, MA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diamond Head or Pink Shell

Just got back from Diamond Head. We walked thru the Pink Shell Resort, it looks a lot nicer. I just put a posting on trip advisor this am. Read for more information.

new york
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Diamond Head or Pink Shell

FWIW to you Diamondhead is in the middle of a permanent traffic jam and you would be advised to rent bikes to get around. The north end of this island is VERY congested, the south end has few services. The Johnson/LoversKey State Park has the best beach and it is not congested. We spent some of February in Diamondhead this year and while OK, would not return. If you have kids and have the suite, you are cooking again and clearing up. Diamondhead has no reasonable food for kids or quick meals.

Michigan
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Diamond Head or Pink Shell

For what it is worth my sister, her 3 kids & hubby are at DiamondHead now & I just talked to her and she is loving it. She said they spent most of the day by the pool, walked to MCDonalds for something, walked on the beach - nevermind the Algae.. she said it wasn't a big deal. They are having a great time. We live in Michigan so maybe it's just such a great change. I will be there end of March - if you still want an opinion I can post it when we return!

Traffic - of course you're on a small island..

LJR
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
347 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diamond Head or Pink Shell

brr snow

We are honeymooning at the Diamond Head in April. I was getting worried when I saw Oldetraverlers review. But I have to agree Florida is probably not the place for them. I would love to see your reviews when you get back. Have a great time..

NH
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Diamond Head or Pink Shell

I am at the Pink Shell right now. We are in a 2 bedroom unit in the White Sand Villas. Second time here. Last time we stayed in a 2 bedroom unit in the Estero Island Beach Villas bldg. I prefer White Sands, my husband prefered the Estero bldg. Both have awesome views. Units show some slight wear (carpets a bit worn, couch stained) disappointing for the price. Although actually we booked a one bedroom and got a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom upon arrival. Same thing happened when we stayed here 2 years ago. I like the location, quiet beach, activities available on the beach, volley ball, watersports (parasailing, wave runners, even a wave runner dophin tour). Love the pool and Jo Jo's restaurant. Hope this helps.

Lawrence
Level Contributor
17 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diamond Head or Pink Shell

While the construction is all done at Pink Shell, if you can get it, the Captiva Villas open in a week or so. Brand new!

I'd imagine this will make it among the best in the area.

I've stayed at the Pink Shell and loved it.

From what I've gathered, The Pink Shell might be the best in terms of pools, rentals, activities ON the property in the entire area.

Agreed its on the end of the island, but that means its next to a park, and it has a great beach.

I'd reccommend the Pink Shell, but I've never been to Diamond Head.

Plus I'm from Kansas too! So my opinion should count for something.

Michigan
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Diamond Head or Pink Shell

LJR - I absolutely will reply when we get back which will be April 5th. When do you leave?