We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flattest areas of beach for easiest walking?

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Flattest areas of beach for easiest walking?

After seeing a picture of a very sloped beach area in front of Summer Place condos (vrbo 124266), I'm wondering if this is typical of most of the area. I'm asking because I'm a beach walker but need flat areas to walk due to knee troubles. I've been looking at the Azure resort also but can't discern if the beach is flat.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flattest areas of beach for easiest walking?

I know this does answer your question - but we have found the beach varies so much, the time of the year, even the time of the day. We were just down in janurary, and found the beach was so different to when we are there in march or october. We do not find it is difficult to walk on.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flattest areas of beach for easiest walking?

It is up to Mother Nature whether the beach slopes or is flat.

I've seen it have a pretty steep slope at times, but when we were there at Christmas time, it was very flat & easy to walk.

Across the street, there is also a nice sidewalk, to walk along Santa Rosa Blvd.

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flattest areas of beach for easiest walking?

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't typical. I've been to one particular beach in SC many times over the course of the past 20 years and it's always been the same, but no one ever knows what Mother Nature will do.

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
Level Contributor
376 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flattest areas of beach for easiest walking?

We usually go to the beach around the Island Princess or the Breakers. Here is the beach cam link:

http://www.breakersfwb.com/beach-cam

Low tide is going to be your best time to walk because the most beach is exposed and therefore the most packed sand, that right now, is early morning. Because the beach is raked every night, the upper beach is pretty fluffy and therefore a little more difficult to navigate.

Unfortunately, all of the beach on the gulf side slopes to the water from the condos (for safety during storms. The condos on the Bayside have flatter beaches because of less waves. Destin West is the only condo that we have here that fronts both.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flattest areas of beach for easiest walking?

I too have knee problems and over the years found it difficult to walk on the beach due to mother nature. As said previously low tide is best. Bad knees cant keep me from beach walking I just try different areas. Enjoy the time there and watch for flatter areas .

Florence, USA
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flattest areas of beach for easiest walking?

So are they digging out the beaches to make them sloped? I remember 20 or more years ago NONE of the beaches were sloped. They were nice and flat with ankle deep water for many yards out. Also, there was no "June grass" plague like now. Seems like all the good things are being slowly taken away from us.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flattest areas of beach for easiest walking?

NO...they are not digging out the beaches! After a major storm they bring the dunes back as a protecter.... to PROTECT what we have, not take it away!....but as far as the sand along the water....sometimes Mother Nature gives us a slope & sometimes it is flat. That is all there is to it. As previously mentioned, it is usually pretty flat at low tide.

8. Re: Flattest areas of beach for easiest walking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 10:36
Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach
Recent Conversations