We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

IL
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

My family will be staying at the Destin West Beach and Bay Resort in August for 10 days. This is our first time to the area as we have been vacationing in Myrtle Beach for the past 4 years, so I wanted to try something different. What is there to do in the area for entertainment, shopping, waterparks, restaurants, etc.? Is there any MUST do's?? Also, how is the weather/water in the beginning of August? Thanks in advance!! :)

Edited: 17 May 2013, 15:38
lawrenceburg in.
Level Contributor
142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

you will be real close to the pier/boardwalk, which is nice. I recommend renting a pontoon boat to explore the bay and crab island. Helenbacks, we loved, great pizza but seems like a dive but looks are deceiving. the lazy river there is awesome. No comparisom to myrtle, the gulf is so much better, you will never go back to the atlantic. Fishing is great if you enjoy that, little kids love fudpuckers fun place to eat.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
942 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

Gulfarium is very near by, next to the boardwalk.

Florida
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

Hi Folks, I live here in FWB. I have a Groupon for Fudpuckers that I will try tonight. I have not visited the new location. But if anyone has any questions I will try to answer them. I'll post my review after I go tonight.

RT

Pensacola Beach...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

For something really off the beaten track, try the zip lining at Adventures Unlimited, they are a first rate operation, an hour or so away from you, but worth it for the scenery and crystal clear rivers with large white sandy banks.

texas
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

We have done myrtle and love the file atmosphere but u can't best the blue water and white sand in fort walton. We have actually stayed at destin west three or four times.. Loved it. For sure rent a pontoon boat or the day and enjoy the bay and crab island. There is a great place to Rent right beside the bay side of destin west. Boardwalk has good food and playgrounds for kids to play on in sand while waiting and eating.

Florida
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

Plus they continue to improve the Harbor Walk/Destin.

alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

How was Fudpuckers? There's a Groupon for Fudpuckeroni's & Fudshuckers, just wondering if it was worth it.

Florida
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

Oh yes! The Groupon is well worth it. I live here and I have used both. Happy Hour 4-6PM, $1.00 Draft beer Rolling Rock, $2 bottle domestic, $10 DZ Oysters. Was there 1 day ago. So you can use the Groupon, just show to your server before hand. Their Pizza is excellent, a garlic-buttery crust. Great Service. In Shuckers ask for Meg. I'd rate the Pizza right up there with Hellen Back. I wish Hellen Back would jump on Groupon.

Just check out the Happy Hour times to make sure. This will save you money. Also different days special deals on well drinks. Call and ask. Hope this helps.

RT

alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

Thanks so much RT! It helps a bunch!!

Saint Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Time to the Area - Staying at Destin West

I have a question regarding Fudshuckers and Fudpuckeroni's. Are these completely different restaurants? I am wondering if I bought the groupon for both places, could the kids get pizza and the adults enjoy oysters/seafood. It doesn't seem like that would be possible, but would be wonderful if we could. Not many places we can make EVERYONE happy and this might just be one! Thanks for the help!

Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach