We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

midwest
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

Our family is looking for a perfect beach vaca in mid May. This is our first trip to the ocean as a family and we want to make it as perfect as possible. We are looking for a hotel or condo ON the beach but we are not fans of crowds or tourist traps. We have been to PCB many many moons ago and I was a huge fan of the beaches but not the crowds and packed in businesses. We also have been to Mexico beach which didn't quite have enough! What do you think? Kids are 8 and 11 and will be so thrilled with the beach that other attractions aren't as crucial.

Thank you for your help!!!!

Cincy
Level Contributor
514 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

We have stayed in Destin and Fort Walton Beach. We prefer Fort Walton Beach. We stay at Waterscape. Our son is 7 this year and loves the pools. The zero entry with the floating lilly pads is his favorite. He also likes the lazy river. We prefer the less crowded beaches in Fort Walton Beach. However, we do sneak over the bridge into Destin for dining.

Sorry, I can only compare Destin and Fort Walton Beach.

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

I'm not a fan of PCB at all, just my opinion. FWB and Pensacola Beach have both beachfront hotels and condos to select from. Both areas are lovely, less crowded than the others (don't get me wrong, they can still be packed at times) but not as densely developed.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

I agree with pokerprincess, Waterscape would be awesome for the kids! FWB tends to be less crowded. That being said, Warerscape is at the "busier" end, while the west end of Santa Rosa is less "crowded". But mid May should be a great time to go....before summer vacationers.

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
579 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

You said, "so thrilled with the beach that other attractions aren't as crucial." I think that says it all. Kids can't want to spend time and your money doing stuff they don't even see. Personally, I would stay in Mexico Beach, possibly driving over to PCB one or 2 days to do a mini golf, shop, restaurant, whatever it is you want to do in a more built-up area (if you find you actually do.) It's only a few minutes away. I think you'd get the best of both that way and have a much more relaxing time/family atmosphere overall, spend a lot less of your time at traffic lights.

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
Level Contributor
376 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

May is the best time of year. I prefer either Okaloosa Island (FWB) or 30A beaches in South Walton. Destin is great as dinner destination or rainy day destination, but it's too crowded for my taste. We like to walk the beaches in the late afternoon and catch an early supper on the boardwalk. Do consider a condo, because then you can grab groceries at publix, and have snacks and breakfast in your room, but if you want a hotel, the best western, the sheraton four points are good ones on Okaloosa island.

At 8 & 11, if you stay on Okaloosa Island, there is a Goofy Golf in FWB that's been there forever. They are open late and it's cheap and fun family stuff. retro, kitchy, but fun. my 8 year old loves the indian temple mound, which is also a fun hour or so.

midwest
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

You all are great! So what it seems you're saying is that FWB is LESS crowded and touristy than PCB and Destin? For some reason I had it in my head that it was the worst of the 3 as far as crowds and cheap tourist traps. I saw some great accommodation suggestions. Anyone else?

7. Re: FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 14:33
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

I've been to all of the beaches you mentioned and with the criteria you listed, I would recommend Fort Walton Beach, specifically OKaloosa Island.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…

http://www.theboardwalkoi.com/

You'll be in a great, quiet area but with enough to do. You'll be closest to the beach as possible with beach front pools. You'll be just a 5 min drive from Destin, too. Good luck!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

We stayed at Summer Place condos last time we were there.

legacy-vacations.com/Vacation-Rentals/…

This summer we're staying at Azure condos.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FWB v. PCB v. Destin v. Pensacola?

Another vote for Waterscape. We are there/here right now with our 2.5 year old twins. This is our 3rd visit in 12 months. Condos are nice, several pools for different ages, and beach is terrific. Grocery close by, too. Our kids love it and we find it ideal for a family.

Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach