We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining recommendations

Chatham, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dining recommendations

We are going to Okaloosa Island in October and looking for dining recommendations. Family of 4 with kids 9 and 5. Any recommendations on good places to eat. Any food type is fine. Thanks.

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
Level Contributor
376 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining recommendations

We like the restaurants by the Pier, there are several to choose from. If they like pizza, there is Helenback Pizza, but it gets clubbish later in the evening. Fudpuckers is fun, with an arcade for the kids.

Let me know if you want in town suggestions, too.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining recommendations

We love October on Okaloosa Island! Restaurants we have enjoyed with kids: Floyds on the pier, Stewby's on Racetrack Road, having steamed oysters at High Tide (kids can do burgers, shrimp, etc if not oyster fans), Helenback for pizza at lunch (it gets grittier there later in the afternoon/evening),, Donut Hole in the mornings to get donuts and/or have breakfast, Fudpuckers to see the alligators and they have an arcade.

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
Level Contributor
376 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining recommendations

Uptown Station in Fort Walton Beach has a number of options. Five Guys Burgers, Zaxby's Chicken, Buffalo Wings, Pizza, Asian, and Mama Clemenzas.

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining recommendations

Burrito Del Sol has fresh fish tacos, KC's Sandbar has great burgers and sandwiches with a sand area for kids to play, Fokkers has pizza and games, and Brooks Bridge BBQ is low key (Wednesday is BOGO sandwiches). All in Downtown FWB at foot of Brooks Bridge

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining recommendations

We like Stewby's.

If you find yourself looking for a side trip, there's a nice zoo along route 98 in Gulf Breeze, around 35 miles west (traffic won't be an issue in October; that's when we go, too). And while you're there, cross the bridge over to Navarre Beach and take the 7 mile drive over to Pensacola Beach along the undeveloped national seashore because it's SOOOO beautiful; take the camera!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining recommendations

Got to do McGuire's. The best steaks in Destin and a great Irish pub!!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
172 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining recommendations

I haven't had a bad meal here this past week. Boshamps, the black pearl, margaritaville, the crab trap. I believe they all had kids menus. Service was quick everywhere and the staff was great (with the exception of the waitress at the crab trap that refused to smile).

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
883 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining recommendations

You don't really say if you are interested in Breakfast, Lunch or Diner. For Breakfast I recommend the Blue Collar Cafe in Fort Walton Beach or Another Broken Egg in Destin. The Breakfast Table in Destin was newly opened the last time we went down, the food was good, but service was a little slow. You may want to give them a try. For Lunch there are a lot of good choices depending on what you want. For the best burgers, McGuires in Destin is probably as good as it gets, unless you are willing to drive into Valpariso where Tucker Duke's Lunchbox is probably the best in the area. For pizza, Fat Clemenza's in Miramar Beach is the best, and there is also a Mellow Mushroom that is pretty good. For a good Grouper sandwich, or Poboy go to Fisherman's Wharf and sit outside on the deck overlooking the harbor. For Dinner, if you want seafood, go to the Marina Cafe between 5 and 6pm for their bogo early bird special. The food is great, the view is good, and service is very good. It is a little upscale, so resort casual attire is recommended. For more casual dinner, McGuires for steak, Fat Clemenza or Mama Clemenza;s for Italian, Acme Oyster House for the grilled oysters, are all very good. Avoid Boschamps. This place is very very over rated and overpriced. If you are renting a Condo that has a kitchen, go to Sarah K's for the gourment take out. The Crab cakes are not to be missed. There are a lot of other choices that are good, but use the restaraunt reviews cautiously, as for some reason, there are a lot of questionable reviews for certain restaraunts in this area.

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining recommendations

Food is a matter of taste, pardon the pun; for example, I'm not a fan of McGuires but plenty of others are. I don't consider those reviews questionable because their opinion differs from mine.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
883 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining recommendations

I forgot to mention a place with 2 kids that you might be interested in if you want a good meal and save a little money. Stewby's Seafood Shanty on Racetrack road in Fort Walton Beach, does fried seafood about as well as it can be done, and the prices are very reasonable. Just don't go here expecting great views of the water, or great dining ambience. It is as it's name implies, a seafood shanty. You walk up to the window to order your food, pick up your food at the window, sit a one of the picnic style tables and have a great view of the parking lot and the roadway. But, the food is very good, and the price can't be beat in the area.They do offer a few grilled items, but mainly it is fried seafood done right.

Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach