We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake or woods setting hotel other than Paramount?

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
759 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
lake or woods setting hotel other than Paramount?

Hi all. I visited Gainesville a few years ago and stayed at the Paramount-totally loved it. sitting on my balcony in the morning watching herons and cormorants fish and gators swim about was a vacation in itself, and their grouper sandwiches were yummy. So I am returning to Gainesville late Oct or early Nov, for 2 weeks, and found that they are booked except for the most expensive rooms (140). So. Does anyone know of another hotel in the area with similar grounds thats a bit easier on the wallet (closer to 100 mark)? I need to be close to the university/museum so either around 2 miles away or with a shuttle service to the university (which Paramount had). any suggestions? thanks!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: lake or woods setting hotel other than Paramount?

Check whether these two are still there ... one's North of the Paramount and the other is South of it. Both less than half mile from Paramount on the same road.

Comfort Inn 352-373-6500

Residence Inn 352-371-2101

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
357 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lake or woods setting hotel other than Paramount?

Sweetwater Branch Inn is really pretty and has rooms from $90-$225 on the weekend and includes wine/cheese hour at night and breakfast in the morning. It's not particularly in your location though, it's on University on the East side of town, but there are plenty of reliable public buses that run right by there and can take you to the university quickly.

If you are looking to stay close to the museum, the Hilton conference center is right across the street from the Natural History Museum. I got a great deal on priceline for $41 by using biddingfortravel.com.

But your problem is going to be that pretty much everything near the university gets booked up on homegame football weekends. If you can plan your trip during the 2 weekends that there are no home games (No home games on: Oct. 18, Nov. 1, Nov. 8) you'll have better luck with availablity.

Wherever you stay the public buses (RTS) are used by many students and so there are ample pick ups and drop offs from hotels to the campus. (see www.go-rts.com more map and more detailed info)

Let me know if you need more help!

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lake or woods setting hotel other than Paramount?

Another extended stay traveler to Gainesville last fall found accommodations at Lakeshore Towers, in spite of the football weekend conflicts.

http://www.lakeshoretowers.com/

It's in the same general vicinity as the Paramount, a little bit closer to campus on Bivens Arm lake. Buses run up and down SW 13th Street, which is maybe a block or two from Lakeshore Towers.

Gaiensville, FL
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lake or woods setting hotel other than Paramount?

There are really no other hotels in Gainesville that are directly on a lake or in the woods. The best bet would be the Hilton on SW 34th street across from the museum, however, you may have to take a road trip for the weekend if there is a football game in town. Since you are staying for 2 weeks, call the hotel directly and they will likely work with you on the rate.

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
759 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lake or woods setting hotel other than Paramount?

Hi All,

I ended up renting a vacation home for three weeks outside of Gainesville in a town called Interlachen. It was a bit of a drive each day but a nice one and the house was on a lake with really pretty grounds and my own little patch of white sandy beach. It was also a lot cheaper than staying in a hotel! Owners very nice and accommodating-they live a few houses down. House is nicely appointed and there is a dock with chairs and a swing chair on the beach. Only issue is the giant palmetto bugs in the house-which I was fine with but my mother was terrified of. Besides that I totally rec it as a nice getaway vacation. Its called Tahitian Beach Cove Hideaway.

6. Re: lake or woods setting hotel other than Paramount?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 01:18