We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants

We're planning a weekend in Gainsville and I need help with restaurants. We eat all kinds of food and there will not be any children on the trip.

What are your favorite restaurants?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

We just came back from a weekend in Gainesville. We LOVED Harry's. It's New Orleans-style cuisine and delicious. We tried to convince our friends to go there again for dinner that night. We also went to Napolitano's. It's off Tower Road, serves Italian, and has been in town for years. It was pretty good. Huge portions.

Florida
Level Contributor
94 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

Sushi/Japanese- Dragonfly. Downtown and trendy.

Italian- Nero's. NW 34th Street Between 39th and 53rd. Excelent pizza and dessert.

Mexican-Las Margaritas. NW 34th Street. Just North of 16th behind Zaxby's. Also La Fiesta-Off Newberry Road, near I-75, turn by Red Lobster turn just after the La Quinta Inn.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

Also check out Mildred's, 3445 West University Avenue. The food is quite good, and the dessert is outstanding.

Gainesville
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

I am a local and my favorite restaurants are Marks (downtown Steakhouse), Paramount Grill (downtown, trendy & quaint), Mildred's and Leonardo's 706 (706 West University Ave). These are all locally owned - not chains and the food is good. Can be a little pricey, though. Approx $40 per person with drinks/wine. The best dining in the area is outside of Gainesville in Alachua (approx. 10 miles north on highway 441) --Deneno's. Great food and atmosphere! They have a website: www.deneno.com

High Springs
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

I have a new favorite restaurant, Its Sweet Peppers. Its off the beaten path, defenatley a destination restaurant. There Sunday brunch is out of this world. If you go, plan on having a gourmet feast surrounded by an incredable garden. Check out the website. www.sweetpeppersrestaurant.com

Also next door is the cutest antique and garden shop. I think its called Angel Gardens.

Denver, CO
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

Try Voodoo Restaurant Sushi Bar and Lounge. THey have a full sushi menue as well as a full kitchen menue with French flair. Thye also have a great martini menue. Great decor!

Gainesville, florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

I'm a gainesvillian!

1.) Simple great burritos made fresh and not from a chain restaurant: Burrito Brothers, University Ave. and 13th St.

2.) Great Brunches: buffet at Leonardo's 706 (706 w. university) & menu at Paramount Grill (sw 2nd ave & sw 1st)

3.) Extremely great Thai: BAHN THAI restaurant (just so flavorful) (s 13th st past the university)

3.) Awesome pan-asian food for a decent price: Liquid Ginger (downtown behind the hippodrome theatre, sun center)

4.) Fun relaxed food: Harry's Seafood Bar & GRille, cajun, but really perfect for almost anyone! (se 2nd ave & se 1st st)

5.) Yummy homemade pizza & salad: Satchel's (ne 23rd ave near waldo road)

6.) A fabulous gourmet dinner: Paramount grill (see above)- if you love steak, try their filet in wine, truffle sauce

7.) Tame gourmet foods, dinner or lunch: Mildreds (newberry & 34th), absolutely killer desserts, though

GOOD LUCK!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants

I have lived in Gainesville for 10 years and these are my local favorites:

1- Chopstix (Pan-asian) - SW 13th street. A variety of Chinese, Thai, and other Asian dishes. Great sushi bar. They also have karaoke on some nights.

2- Mildred's (yeah I know it's a repeat)- great food. Lunch is very reasonably priced, dinner is a bit pricey. Fabulous desserts!

3- The Ivy House Restaurant- If you travel about 17 miles outside of gainesville down SR 121/Williston Rd., you'll discover one of north central Florida's best kept secrets. This is a family-owned restaurant that boasts great dishes, wonderful deserts and a quaint gift shop. It is adjacent to The Ivey House Bed amnd Breakfast. Dinner is only served on Fri and Sat nights.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
357 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants

Agree with post on Liquid Ginger for Pan-Asian, Nero's for Italian, I know it's a chain but I like Outback for steaks.

Covington, Louisiana
Level Contributor
54 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants

We have a UF kid and visit frequently fom the New Orleans area. Don't miss Paramount Grill--small bistro, great food. Also, Dragonfly for sushi, very trendy and upbeat, and Mildred's Big City Grill is also very good.