We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartments close to the University of Florida

United States
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Apartments close to the University of Florida

Hi,

I would be grateful if anyone would give some information on which apartments close to the University of Florida would be considered the best in terms of quality, amenities, location, security, price, etc. I am coming in as an international graduate student (although I'm not particular about an exclusively graduate apartment complex).

Thanks.

Dude

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Gaiensville, FL
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartments close to the University of Florida

Check the following websites:

http://www.gainesville-rent.com/

or

http://gainesville.apartmentguide.com/

There are too many apartment complexs around the Unviersity to count. I would stay away from the East side of campus (towards downtown) due to that being "seedier" area. The area to the North of campus is called the "student ghetto." There are several small complexs in this area. It is currently undergoing a revitalization. Most of the apartments are to the Southwest and West of the campus along Archer Road and SW 34th Street. These areas are mostly made up of students and are convient to shopping and the bus routes.

Good luck and go gators.

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartments close to the University of Florida

As RLD states, there are many, many apartment complexes around the University of Florida with a wide range of lifestyles, prices, amenities, etc. What is "best" depends on what you value most. Like everywhere else, you'll pay more for the most desirable locations, while those with less desirable locations compensate by offering superior amenities, lower prices, or greater square footage. There's everything from (almost) urban settings to a country club atmosphere, so maybe if you could give us a better idea of your personal priorities, we could steer you to the right areas and/or complexes.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
United States
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartments close to the University of Florida

Thanks a lot for ur responses.

I've actually checked those websites, and lots of reviews but just got more confused by the mixed reviews (while one person says an apartment is the 'best place ever', someone else says to 'STAY AWAY!!!'...lol).

I'm interested in an all-inclusive studio apartment (preferably, but not set in concrete); on site features such as swimming pool, fitness center, etc; location: not far from the UF campus and other important places like malls, etc (and not located in the designated 'to-be-avoided-places'); security; not too noisy (and not a funeral place either :); etc.

For example, how's a place like the Windsor Hall apartments?

I would be grateful if I could have specific apartment names, if possible.

Thanks again.

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartments close to the University of Florida

Windsor Hall is not in a location that meets many of your stated priorities. I would concentrate on the SW Archer Road corridor, between SW 13th Street and SW 34th Street. That area is close to campus, has lots of student-oriented apartment complexes, and is close to Butler Plaza which is a sprawling complex of strip malls, big box stores, movie theaters, and every chain restaurant known to man.

There is a brand new complex right on Archer Road called The Bartram http://www.thebartram.com. It is one of "the best" in Gainesville and definitely qualifies as a luxury property, with every on-site amenity one could possibly want. It's also priced at the high end at $1050 for a 1BR/1BA. The average 1BR/1BA in Gainesville is about $833. There are lots of other choices in that same area, so please let us know if you have additional specific criteria.

United States
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartments close to the University of Florida

Thanks alot!

I've had a look at the Bartram... it does look good... and expensive too! (which is understandable for a new apartment).

Would u have any other examples of apartments that could stand close to the Bartram in quality (but not in price)?

Thanks so much for taking time to respond to all this...

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartments close to the University of Florida

There are a lot of complexes on that stretch of Archer Road, but most are older, smaller complexes that lack the amenities of The Bartram. Here are a couple that looked okay: Tuscan Bend http://www.tuscanbend.com and University Commons http://www.ucommonscondos.com.

There's another brand new place about six blocks north of campus on NW 13th St called University House http://www.universityhouse.com. It's probably comparable to the Bartram in terms of amenities and is actually closer (walking distance) to the main parts of campus, but is not as convenient to that whole Butler Plaza shopping, dining and entertainment scene. And the neighborhood east of there gets dicey pretty quick.

There's a new complex about halfway between downtown and campus (walking distance to both) called Jefferson 2nd Avenue. They don't seem to have their own web site, but you can see a listing at collegerentals.com/Florida/…. This one would be more "urban living" with all that implies. Downtown has quite a thriving restaurant/bar/club scene, so other than getting groceries you might never need a car.

The thing to watch with a lot of newer complexes is, for example, the 4 BR/4BA with individual leases. You can really reduce your rent quite a bit, but it's typically a shared kitchen, living, and dining area with 4 bedrooms, each with their own bathroom ensuite. They'll match you with roommates as best they can, but you're taking your chances on the luck of the draw. You might get good ones, you might get bad ones, but once you sign a lease you're stuck with them for a year.

Happy hunting.

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartments close to the University of Florida

Also note that UF students who pay the student activity fee can use the very impressive facilities at the Southwest Rec Center for free. Check it out at http://www.recsports.ufl.edu/home.aspx and it might change your priorities regarding an onsite workout facility.

United States
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartments close to the University of Florida

Thank you so much for ur replies: all the info and advice. I feel a lot more confident about my hunting now!

Thanks!

New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartments close to the University of Florida

Hi, read all your reviews on apartments and found all of the info to be extremely helpful. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the Melrose Student suites?

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartments close to the University of Florida

Nice place on a newly-developing, but still rather desolate road. Very close to the Oaks Mall, if that's a priority. It's a pretty easy hike up I-75 to Santa Fe if you can fight your way through traffic on Newberry Rd in front of the mall, which is always hideous. Getting to UF is a little more of a hassle as you either have to go north to Newberry Rd or south to SW 20th Ave/SW 34th St/SW Archer Rd, all of which are choked with traffic morning and evening.

I assume Melrose is one of those places with individual leases and a shared kitchen/living/dining area with 2, 3, or 4 bedrooms each having a bathroom ensuite? Unless you already know the people you'll be living with, you pay your money and take your chances. My son lived in one of those for a year - it was a very, um, social atmosphere.

Mentioned in this post
The Oaks Mall
The Oaks Mall
33 Reviews
Gainesville, FL
Melrose
Melrose
Florida