We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westindiplomat..Diplomat mall.. Diplomat country club?

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Westindiplomat..Diplomat mall.. Diplomat country club?

Hi

We will be staying at the Westin Diplomat in Nov. Can one of you experts please make some sense of all these names. Are they all the same place? If not, how far appart?

I want to do some major outlet shopping while I'm in Florida. Where is the nearest and best places to shop. I am from Western Canada and want to do some Christmas shopping. I would like to get some good deals.

thanks for any help

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westindiplomat..Diplomat mall.. Diplomat country club?

The original Diplomat Country Club Beach Resort consisted of 7 buildings in the area of the beach, one country club hotel with 12 tennis courts, a 18 hole PGA, 400 condo apartments with user rights, yacht club, mall, and at least 4 outdoor pools (not part of the Spa. The era was Jackie Gleason & Sinatra in the late 50s, as it was kinda close to Miami.

Bankrupt in the late 70s or 80s...sat dead in the water (except the CC section) for many years. The condo HOA (across the street from the CC) sold their rights back so owners no longer have any use of the new facilities build a few years ago.

The Mall is still called the Diplomat Mall. The new CC is still called the Diplomat Country Club. Spa, Golf ang Yacht Club. Managed by Starwoods Westin Luxury Resorts division section.

All above are on Diplomat Parkway, 1/2 mile off the beach and accessed via Hallandale Beach Blvd. All are in HALLANDALE. Look in Hallandale section of TA for reviews.

ALSO seach these forums for much more info.

The Westin Diplomat Beach and Golf Resort (same golf as in Hallandale) is 3 giant buildings, the Diplomat Landings (Ft Laud water taxi stop to South Beach 2 times a week- Nikki Marina Club, too (and a new Westin Diplomat Condotel being built right next to the largest hotel in Florida) in Hollywood....

and are about 1.3 miles from the Hallandale Diplomat Country Club. THEY ARE CONNECTED by a free shuttle run by the Westin Starwood Diplomat Management. The shuttle passes right by the Diplomat Mall, BUT THIS ISN"T a big mall you asked about on the Orlando forums.

Speaking of Malls, IMO, the info you recieved about Sawgrass Mills was almost corect.

First, pricing.....the Mills Corp is a giant developer of OUTLET malls that include stores that are truly outlet stores....not secondary manufactured stuff many other outlets allow in their individual units.

I've been to them all in Orlando, Belz, Prime, Miramar, and Sawgrass Mills beats the pants off them.

The original Sawgrass with some of the current extensions include 3 miles of corridors, and if seen from above, looks like a giant alligator. There are now many more sections...BUT SOME NOT OUTLETS

Many South American schools & camps sponser trips for older children to Fl. They usually saty 2 weeks, and travel from Miami, west to Naples, Ft Meyers, N to St Petersburg area, then back east for about a week in Orlando.

Their last few days is spent in the Ft Laud area. The last one or two days they shop at Sawgrass, and load goods they pick onto waiting trucks to be exported back home.

This one day excursion usually pays for their trip, and more, when retailed in their parents & friends retail establishment.

Outlets include JC Penny, Federated Dept Stores (Macys, Dillards, May Robinson, Bullocks, and maybe Lord & Taylor). There is also a Saks 5th, a Last Call Nieman Marcus, Marshalls outlet, Speigal, Vanity Fair, Coach, and dozens more,

This post will take you to the forum where they have posted links to get coupons for Coach, & other stores. Also check their website.

You may need to give your e mail to get those coupons:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34227-i98-k797538…

Unfortunately, the Westin Diplomat Beach Resort in Hollywood is about 24 miles from Sawgrass Mills. But being on the beach (IMO) is pretty nice, too.

You will need to consider how to get stuff home. You can ship it.

Finally, Westin doesn't offer a free airport shuttle as far as I know. But it seems to be about 8 miles from the airport.

2. Re: Westindiplomat..Diplomat mall.. Diplomat country club?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 01:17