We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid this place!

Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid this place!

203 E 75th street. It has been recently remodeled and it looks great. That is where the positives end.

First of all, we paid for a heated pool. $85.00 of our rental fee was for a heated pool. We were unable to use it all week (Mar. 24-31). It was freezing. When we contacted the owners they were totally uninterested in what we had to say. Tuesday the people in the other half of the duplex let us swim in their pool. It is owned by the same people. It was at least ten degrees warmer.

Monday we were told to be there for a carpenter to do some work that would only take about 20-30 minutes. 4 and a half hours later he was finished.

While we were there for the carpenter a real estate agent shows up and asks if he could show the house while we were there. We said that would be impossible. He was very sympathetic and said he wouldn't. We mentioned all of our problems to him and he was kind of embarrassed by it.

We made the most of the week anyway because we love AMI but we feel like we got cheated by the owners of this place.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid this place!

Sorry to hear this. Did you rent from a local realtor? Glad you were able to make the best of it.

Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid this place!

Rented it from the owners who are in the process of letting a realtor handle their rentals now. They already had a notebook from the realtor with all the rules, store, church, shop locations, etc. We actually talked to a rep from the agency who was very nice but said they weren't taking over until April 8. She said that the pool situation was totally unacceptable and would not be tolerated under her company.

Forgot to add that the place was a mess when we got there. Sand all over the floors in every room, sliding glass doors streaky and dirty as was the stove top and a glass door for one of the kitchen cabinets.

We love AMI so much we could have a good time sleeping in our car. Impossible not to have fun there. Only 357 days til our next visit.

AMI
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid this place!

And that's the reason I tell people to rent from a local established agency with a full service staff on the island.

More of the same: islander.org/2012/…

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid this place!

Good article. I also always suggest renting from a licensed agent, whether a realtor or a rental agency. Particularly when you have come from so far away. We have rented at LaCosta a couple of times, with no problems, and for this summer decided a private pool would be nice, so have rented a cottage from Mike Norman. The other realtors on the island also have really good reputations, and would never allow the abuses.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid this place!

As an out of state realtor renting my own property on AMI, I would suggest that you place a monetary value on the items that were unsatisfactory, cleaning charges range from $75 for 600 square feet, to $125 for 1200 square feet and up, then include the $85 for the unheated pool and add an additional amount for the repairs done during your vacation time, I would suggest deducting a full days rent, total the amount and write to the owners requesting a refund. Also refer them to the TA AMI forum so that they can read your comments. Do let us know the owners response.

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid this place!

The first two years we rented on AMI we rented directly from owners who lived in the other half of the duplex we rented, so they were on site and very helpful, much more so than any realtor I have ever experienced. We paid much less for the property than we would have if realtors had their cut.

We have also had good experiences with realtors. My point is that there is not only one way to do things .

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid this place!

@AMICHIP- I feel your pain. We also had a horrible rental that week. However, we used a realtor.

@onh20-

I agree with you about renting from a realtor. We have been renting homes in FL for over 20 years. Being our first visit to AMI, we went with realtor instead of by owner. We paid a premium price and got a sub-par rental. I actually told the rental agency that their photogragher should get an award for his pictures. The place was NOT represented well at all.

We rented from 4/24 to 4/31 from Mike Norman Realty.

NOT a good experience...waiting to hear from them on any type of apology or compensation. We went into them on Monday after our arrival on Saturday with a list of 20 items/issues with our house.

The only thing they did was have a pool cleaner come out.

Nothing else was fixed. No apologies. No return emails or calls.

The only thing I have heard from them is that their cleaner could not find sheets and they wanted to know if we knew where they are.

We even had neighbors on the block checking in on us to make sure we where okay. Really bad experience.

Dirty diapers, unclean unsanitary pool, broken appliances, broken A/C, snakes, trash overflow, broken beds.....and the smell of mold was unbelievable. We learned real quick why there are so many Yankee Candles in the house....

8. Re: Avoid this place!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 01:42
Get answers to your questions about Holmes Beach