We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
trip report

OK Here goes. I used this forum lots when planning our trip. Thanks to all for some great advice!! Now I only hope this trip report will help in some decisions or help someone decide to visit south FL.

My boyfriend and I took an 8 night trip through south fl. Despite it raining (on and off) the first 5 days, we had a great time and would do it all over again. So here is what I can remember!!!

Wed- get to hotel in south beach Miami. Stay at Best Western on Washington and 11th. We had the room with the best view #321 It over looked the pool area and a busy intersection. We stayed two nights. Loved south beach and the people watching is excellent!!!! You can party 24/7. Can’t wait to go back

Fri-Sat Fort Lauderdale for business we had to come here for a seminar; otherwise we would have spent more time in the everglades and south beach. But if you do go to this area and want a really cool place to stay also for a great price try Tropi Rock Resort Hotel. This place is very unique. Owners are very friendly. Check it out.

Sun – Everglades. We only had a few hours so we drove the road to flamingo and stopped a most of the trails. Alligators, Birds, nice sunny day. Wish we could have gone on the day long tour offered by the hostel we stayed at. Just didn’t have time. The Everglades Hostel was great helped us save a few bucks, very clean and super friendly. Will return. They offer an awesome all day tour that has great reviews. We didn’t get to go because of time, but we will be back there

Mon – Drove down to the Keys, We were kinda in a hurry to get to Key West so we limited our stops on the way down. We did visit the FREE bird sanctuary in Tavernier @93-94 mile. Worth the stop. We stopped at Robbie’s in Islamorada to feed to tarpon @77. Got to Key West found our B&B Nassau House Loved it! Will stay again, hated to leave. We walked to Fort Zachery “beach” to far to walk from Nassau should have rented bikes, the park is cool but the beach is rocks. We rented bikes for the rest of the afternoon and then went to the sunset celebration and ate at the Cuban place right on the square it was excellent great mojitos. It was recommended by Bo the owner of Nassau House.

Tues- rode bikes to smathers beach, nice soft sand beach. Left Key West & drove to Bahia Honda sp. Best Beach Ever Beautiful Water! Stayed all day, till sunset. Stay at Big pine key fishing lodge. Great price, clean rooms, big.

Wed- woke up early and went back to Bahia could have stayed there forever. Drove back towards Key Largo. Ate at Islamorada Fish Company, excellent! Stay at sunset cove hotel in Key Largo, took a free canoe out in the bay for sunset. Very nice. This place was cool; the grounds were decorated with all kinds of stuff. Ate at the Fish House Encore…. Two restaurants side by side Fish House and Fish House Encore, same…..anyway best fish I Ever had… mahi-mahi with spinach and 4 cheese mmmmm, also try yellowtail grouper. Excellent.

Thurs – went on snorkel trip from john pennekamp sp very fun saw lots of fish tons! Lobsters, barracudas , you see. Came back to hotel showered and left to catch our plan @ 4!!!

We had a great time and will return. Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for reading!!!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report

Nice report. Sounds like you packed a lot into a short trip.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
258 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report

Wow- sounds like u did have a great trip. I have a question (maybe a dumb one) when u say you stopped at Robbies @ 77, do u mean mile marker 77? We're going next month and I heard something about stopping to feed the tarpon. What do u feed then? Do u buy it there or bring it w/ ya? Any info will help. TIA

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report

Robbie's is one of my favorite places so I'll answer this one - Yes!

It's mile marker 77, bayside (just after a long bridge as you are heading towards KW). It's $1 to walk on the pier and $2 for a bucket of fish to feed the tarpon. Buy everyone his or her own bucket - you won't want to share!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report

It is a ton of fun. On the bottom of this page is a movie of my boys feeding the tarpon at Robbies. Let it play through once, then watch it again. It won't be so jumpy / jerky.

keyspropertyconnection.com/picturepage2.html

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
258 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report

Thanks Keymom and Buffetguy, I'll be sure and stop here, can't wait!

6. Re: trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 13:20